Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to apply for a Secondary PGCE (Physics) at Bristol, Exeter and somewhere else (maybe King's) for 2018 entry. The thing is, I've only really come to the decision that I want to do PGCE-route teaching this term, and so haven't accumulated any observation experience in schools. Do you think I'll still be able to to get in without any such experience before application/interviews?

P.S. I'll be graduating with a Physics undergraduate masters from Oxford this academic year, if that helps. Also, I've worked on/taught at a summer school for 6th form pupils (from state schools, helping them apply to university) - so maybe that would be relevant? I don't know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoenix_123)
    I'm looking to apply for a Secondary PGCE (Physics) at Bristol, Exeter and somewhere else (maybe King's) for 2018 entry. The thing is, I've only really come to the decision that I want to do PGCE-route teaching this term, and so haven't accumulated any observation experience in schools. Do you think I'll still be able to to get in without any such experience before application/interviews?

P.S. I'll be graduating with a Physics undergraduate masters from Oxford this academic year, if that helps. Also, I've worked on/taught at a summer school for 6th form pupils (from state schools, helping them apply to university) - so maybe that would be relevant? I don't know...
    The summer school experience definitely sounds relevant.

There's still time to get some experience; if you apply you could always mention in your personal statement that you're planning on attaining some?

ReputationRep:
    Schools are always needing volunteers, could you not help out at a local secondary one afternoon a week?

ReputationRep:

Their websites will say how much experience they want. It's usually highly recommended that you have at least one day of experience prior to interview as you'll need to reflect on that in your personal statement and on the interview day - you could rely on memories from your time in secondary school if necessary, but you'll have had a very different perspective back then.

Getting experience should be fairly easy if you have a DBS check - just email some local schools. If you don't have a DBS check, you'll most likely need one; a school may be able to organise it for you, but it won't be an instant process.

ReputationRep:
    I might try and see if I can get a few days experience sorted then - how late do you reckon I could leave submitting the application to get the experience in before? I've heard places fill up quickly on some courses.

ReputationRep:
    I might try and see if I can get a few days experience sorted then - how late do you reckon I could leave submitting the application to get the experience in before? I've heard places fill up quickly on some courses.
    There's not enough physics teachers - hence the large bursary. I can't guarantee anything but applying in a month or two shouldn't be much of a problem. Just try and get the experience and apply as soon as you can.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.