Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So i graduated in Computer Science with a 2:1.. quite surprised with my grade to be honest. I thought i didnt do too well but i wont complain haha.

Anyway ive been applying for quite a few jobs but either dont get replies or get rejection emails.

I have my own business while at university where i was selling items online etc. So im not too worried about experience (though it may also be an issue)

What im worried about is my A level grades, i was in and out of hospital during that time and only got 2 A levels. I was wondering whats the best way to explain that? I cant write on my CV that i was unwell.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you go for an interview just explain you were unwell and unable to fully complete your exams. You don't have to write it on your CV. Nobody can control when they fall ill. You don't have to say any more than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    If you go for an interview just explain you were unwell and unable to fully complete your exams. You don't have to write it on your CV. Nobody can control when they fall ill. You don't have to say any more than that.
    Thing is i cant even get interviews and i believe its because of my A level grades.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taz92)
    Thing is i cant even get interviews and i believe its because of my A level grades.
    It's very unlikely to be your A level grades. Anything you have learnt in your degree far outweighs your A level subject matter. So the only use for A levels is as a discriminator of longstanding academic potential, and IT is very rarely, if ever, recruiting in that way.

The issue is probably lack of any focus of IT skills, or professional level experience (selling online isn't really relevant or grad level or IT related) or just a badly written CV that doesn't give evidence of having relevant skills.

If you feel you need to explain your A level grades just put

20xx-xx School Name, Town
    A level Subject and Subject, A levels severely interrupted by health issues

ReputationRep:
    Sending speculative ad-hoc emails for job offers usually have a very low success rate. Nevertheless, how is your CV? Does it looks good visually and show you are a well rounded individual? Also with not too much text, strong bullet points 1 page, clear interests/extra curriculars etc? Feel free to send to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.