Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have 2 Unconditional Offers and can't help but feel unmotivated. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I told myself that if I was to get an unconditional offer I would still work just as hard, but I can't help but feel unmotivated. I'm not sure whether it's just this week because I don't feel well. But I think the whole thing is quite stupid. How we're encouraged to do well in our A-levels and then universities throw unconditional offers around.

Don't get me wrong I'm so happy and grateful and I feel like a massive weight has been lifted, but I'm not sure how I stay motivated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FabStudent)
    I told myself that if I was to get an unconditional offer I would still work just as hard, but I can't help but feel unmotivated. I'm not sure whether it's just this week because I don't feel well. But I think the whole thing is quite stupid. How we're encouraged to do well in our A-levels and then universities throw unconditional offers around.

Don't get me wrong I'm so happy and grateful and I feel like a massive weight has been lifted, but I'm not sure how I stay motivated.
    unconditional offers aren't that common, really. Where they are, they're a marketing ploy. (if the unconditional is dependent on you firming the uni, this is almost certainly the case)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What course are you planning on doing and what universities did you apply to?

Oh and Congratz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
    What course are you planning on doing and what universities did you apply to?

Oh and Congratz
    Thank you and Biomedical science at Lincoln is what I'm going to do

ReputationRep:
    Thank you and Biomedical science at Lincoln is what I'm going to do
    maybe you subconciously dont wanna study it at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angrypoliceman)
    maybe you subconciously dont wanna study it at uni
    I definitely want to go to uni and I'm really looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to oxford in 2020
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A Levels are for life, not just for uni.

Some jobs (mainly graduate jobs) have minimum required standards for A Levels, so even with a good degree you would be cutting off many options if you do badly at A Level. You're also setting yourself up to do badly in the degree - degrees will build on some A Level work and skills, and if you get used to doing nothing for 9 months it will be very difficult to get back into good study habits. At uni, there are all the other excitements that come with being away from home or just having more freedom, so if you're used to slacking you're not going to work hard.

ReputationRep:
    You need your A levels forever, not just for uni so do what you have to and achieve good grades regardless of your unconditional offer

ReputationRep:

Don't let an unconditional sway your choice of uni. If you felt you were capable enough of getting the grades needed for your most preferred university when you applied, stick with it. I'm personally very glad I rejected an unconditional (+£2000 for every A* I got, I think) as I got into my most preferred university in the end and am probably in a better position for it. I think I was genuinely put off from even insuring with the uni because of that, felt like a cheap ploy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    A Levels are for life, not just for uni.

Some jobs (mainly graduate jobs) have minimum required standards for A Levels, so even with a good degree you would be cutting off many options if you do badly at A Level. You're also setting yourself up to do badly in the degree - degrees will build on some A Level work and skills, and if you get used to doing nothing for 9 months it will be very difficult to get back into good study habits. At uni, there are all the other excitements that come with being away from home or just having more freedom, so if you're used to slacking you're not going to work hard.
    Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I'm hoping I'm feeling demotivated due to being ill rather than in general and I will pick up my studies as soon as possible.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Are all your offers unconditional? If not, firm one that isn't - that will keep the motivation going...

NB. Unconditional If Firm offers benefit the university, not the student. If you really like the university you could even ask them not to make it Unconditional. Call your own bluff!

ReputationRep:
    think about it this way: you're basically preparing for your course at university, so ur basically at university, so ur not preparing for uni but ur preparing to graduate uni; if you dont prepare now u'll prepare about a year later and u'll be behind.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I also have an unconditional offer and I really get how you feel.Just think that, in the future, your employers will not only look at your degree, but your A-Levels as well! If you have a 1st or a 2:1, it looks great, but without decent A-Levels, they may wonder how committed you are.Keep working hard- this will prep you for university too!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of graduate schemes require 280/300 UCAS points from 3 A Levels at least. (BBB/BBC), so it's still important to do well at A Level, not just in your degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.