Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'm not rly sure as to the structure of an EPQ and any pointers as to the sort of question you should avoid setting yourself up with, how many sources you used in yours, how you organised your time etc. would be valued
    My EPQ is either going to be English Literature or Russian History (I would prefer 16th century or Soviet. Maybe something about Ivan IV? Or Berja? Not certainly though. I am open). Does anybody have any good question ideas or rich areas of focus for either of these?
    If you only have answers for one of these areas, pls do reply, still

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eldritchturtle)
    Firstly, I'm not rly sure as to the structure of an EPQ and any pointers as to the sort of question you should avoid setting yourself up with, how many sources you used in yours, how you organised your time etc. would be valued
    My EPQ is either going to be English Literature or Russian History (I would prefer 16th century or Soviet. Maybe something about Ivan IV? Or Berja? Not certainly though. I am open). Does anybody have any good question ideas or rich areas of focus for either of these?
    Hello,

Well, I'm not quite sure I can help you with a particular question relating to English lit or Russian history as I'm not familiar with it, therefore, am not qualified to speak on this, however I may be able to help you with your general structure of the EPQ and perhaps mistakes you should avoid.

Generally, when you’re coming up with a question you want to make sure it’s not an open ending question so you can answer the question by the end of your essay. Obviously not too closed-ended as you want a fair amount of room to expand as an EPQ word count is generally a 5000 words written piece.

Sources – This is an interesting point because you want to use as many sources as you can, however, you absolutely must make sure they’re are correctly cited otherwise you lose marks for plagiarism. A general rule of them is for every new point use a source as how you would normally in English (PEE), bibliographies and sourcing is a dreaded issue which can be time consuming and take away quality from the essay so to help you I’ll link a lifesaver of a website I used to source my studies (http://www.citethisforme.com/) it even has all the different styles of citation.

Time management – Now this is an important one at times EPQ feels like just side work or like a project and people end up neglecting it but really treat it as another subject, since it is, once you get graded on it, it becomes an AS Level. Spend a fair amount of time on it, perhaps a timetable would be useful.

Structure – It’s a research of essay document, starting with an abstract or an intro, then the main body of the arguments, and conclusion. I can’t help that much with this as my EPQ was science-based.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you need.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by eldritchturtle)
    Have you read the epq specification frm your exam board?

Pick something relevant to the degree you are applying for.

Pick a topic you find interesting and investigate then analyse comfortably within 5000 words. Topics would normally come from the student doing their own research and it can be counterproductive having titles offered by third parties.

Try and pick a topic that involves a degree of investigation, analysis and evaluation, so you are able to show the reader what you have done and why you have formed such an opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Thank u !! Everything I could have asked to know

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.