Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be having trouble getting temporary car insurance (I.e. for a week) on my own car when I'm home from uni. most places only seem to offer it if someone you know has an existing policy so you can be added to theirs on a short term basis, but I can't get one for my own car! and if I do, it seems way too expensive.

is it worth just paying the full year's Insurance even though I'll barely drive my car just so my no claims goes down? I feel like just selling my car altogether at this point because right now it's just collecting dust in my driveway
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Could try a broker. or google it?
    https://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/tempo...insurance.html

My advice if you can afford it is to get a yearly policy and build up your NCD. Will be cheaper and better for you in the future.

ReputationRep:
    thanks @jfrench74, I'll have a look. I'd already renewed my insurance for this year and cancelled when I found out I'd be moving away for uni, so I've already lost money at this point through cancellation fees!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Shame you cancelled. You could try calling up the insurance company and explain the situation. They might make the policy live again depending on when you cancelled.

ReputationRep:
    was in the middle of September :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaadams1)
    I seem to be having trouble getting temporary car insurance (I.e. for a week) on my own car when I'm home from uni. most places only seem to offer it if someone you know has an existing policy so you can be added to theirs on a short term basis, but I can't get one for my own car! and if I do, it seems way too expensive.

is it worth just paying the full year's Insurance even though I'll barely drive my car just so my no claims goes down? I feel like just selling my car altogether at this point because right now it's just collecting dust in my driveway
    Thread should be in Cars and Motoring - tagging AngryJellyfish to move it for you.

Try Aviva; they quoted me a decent £25 for a days insurance when I was looking to buy my new car so I could get it home from the dealer (didn't need temporary insurance in the end so can't comment on the service).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.