Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also why does Cambridge have women only colleges?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vegan_Cannibal)
    the presence of males would distract the ladies from their studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYoverDX)
    Why do you care?
    It's not really something I care about, but isn't there more help for matures and female students at Cambridge? So it would be easier to be a girl or mature and get accepted into Cambridge?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge (and Oxford) aims to cater for different demographics. They are aware that certain college communities suit different people. It would be a shame to put a mature student, who wants to engage with other mature colleagues with 18 or 19 year olds, who might not be able to relate to a more matured lifestyle.

For women-only Colleges, i think this was a strategic move to ensure that more women have a chance at gaining a Cambridge education without inherent gender biases in application. This, to me, is positive discrimination since more men are admitted to other Cambridge colleges.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really something I care about, but isn't there more help for matures and female students at Cambridge? So it would be easier to be a girl or mature and get accepted into Cambridge?
    They are all little things, dw.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Wired_1800;74461710]Cambridge (and Oxford) aims to cater for different demographics. They are aware that certain college communities suit different people. It would be a shame to put a mature student, who wants to engage with other mature colleagues with 18 or 19 year olds, who might not be able to relate to a more matured lifestyle.

I get that, and i totally support mature only colleges. However, why does Cambridge have more? Even if they are aiming to cater to different communities, shouldn't Oxford also have more than one mature college ? Is there any history behind this?

Similarly to help with positive discrimination shouldn't oxford also have female-only colleges?

the main point could also be this: is is easier to be a mature or female student at Cambridge than Oxford?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Vegan_Cannibal;74461810]
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Cambridge (and Oxford) aims to cater for different demographics. They are aware that certain college communities suit different people. It would be a shame to put a mature student, who wants to engage with other mature colleagues with 18 or 19 year olds, who might not be able to relate to a more matured lifestyle.

I get that, and i totally support mature only colleges. However, why does Cambridge have more? Even if they are aiming to cater to different communities, shouldn't Oxford also have more than one mature college ? Is there any history behind this?

Similarly to help with positive discrimination shouldn't oxford also have female-only colleges?

the main point could also be this: is is easier to be a mature or female student at Cambridge than Oxford?
    You would have to look up the statistics to ascertain whether it is easier.

Cambridge is very different to Oxford, so only Oxford knows why they have the Colleges set up in that way.

Cambridge seems to want to admit students from different demographics rather than just have a tick-box exercise. Hence why they have more of different colleges, I guess
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The average age of first years at a mature (21+) college is about..... 21 iirc. Possibly 22.

Standard age colleges can have mature students, and they also have plenty of postgrads (ie. 21+).

Matures colleges aren't really that much different, although they do tend to be less "traditional" than many standard age colleges.

They *are* more used to dealing with less typical entry requirements though. So things like Access to HE, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Colleges are independent institutions, separate from the University, but working together under a 'gentleman's agreement' type arrangement. Colleges have their own funding and are charities in their own right. To found a College you need a) and agreement with the University that it needs and wants a new College (because though separate, the College needs to work in partnership with the uni where its students will be educated) and b) a socking great endowment.

In the mid-20th century (I haven't checked exact foundation dates) Oxford either couldn't find the philanthropic donations, or made the strategic decision to go for 'mixed college' solutions to the growth in female and mature students, whereas Cambridge had the will and the donors to start new female only and mature Colleges. Just a different strategy. But as the Colleges are charities with their own charitable objects, the university has no say in whether they limit their student body by gender or age and so has no control over whether they change.

I don't believe the demographic is markedly different between Oxford and Cambridge, simply Cambridge has a bit more segregation because of the mature and women's Colleges - obviously the co-ed Colleges tend to have slightly more than 50% male students. It is worth noting that there are a large number of students in the women's Colleges at Cambridge that are there because of parental pressure, ie though the student is fully 'integrated' their parents aren't and wouldn't have let them attend a co-ed College.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.