Turn on thread page Beta

KCL vs Loughborough vs Bath vs Durham vs Exeter for Business Management? watch

ReputationRep:
    How would you rank the above unis (in terms of academic reputation) for undergraduate studies in Business?

ReputationRep:
    Kings
    Exeter-Bath
    Loughborough-Durham(Business is one of their weaker subjects)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shivanibhargava)
    How would you rank the above unis (in terms of academic reputation) for undergraduate studies in Business?
    Bath for sure. It's got a very good reputation for it too.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Bath
    Exeter
    KCL
    Durham
    Loughborough
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by shivanibhargava)
    Hey

I'm in my second year studying Management at Bath and I'm really enjoying the course. I'm in the process of applying for my placement year which is really exciting. A lot of employers have connections with Bath and are keen to receive applications from Bath students, so I would say that this is a really great reason to study here. We get lots of help with applications, cover letters and mock interviews and some students get offered a place on the graduate scheme after completing their placement.

I would recommend looking at the different modules for the courses you are interested in and the types of assessment too - at Bath the course tends to be about 50% coursework and 50% exam. Some of the coursework is done in groups which I really enjoyed as it helps you get to know a lot of people on the course.

I think the best way to decide is to visit the different uni's and get a feel for the place and the people there - as Bath is a campus uni, it has a really friendly feel which is one of the reasons I chose to study here.

Hope this helps, just quote me if you have any more questions!

Alice

ReputationRep:
    Durham has a reputable name but has a sliver TEF award

ReputationRep:
    All good. Maybe you should just choose the city and campus environment you would most enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student997)
    Durham has a reputable name but has a sliver TEF award
    lmfao you actually rate unis on that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Bath/Exeter

Durham (I know people might say business is one of their weaker areas but the uni name overpowers it in this case)

Kings (they don't teach you well or leave you a healthy looking pocket, they've gone downhill for a while and try to inflate their international ranking so it's mostly old people and internationals who rate it for now).

Loughborough
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Bath/Exeter

Durham (I know people might say business is one of their weaker areas but the uni name overpowers it in this case)

Kings (they don't teach you well or leave you a healthy looking pocket, they've gone downhill for a while and try to inflate their international ranking so it's mostly old people and internationals who rate it for now).

Loughborough
    Can you please elaborate on how you know Kings have "gone downhill for a while"?

I am in the process of applying to uni and from the research I've done that sounds like absolute rubbish. From what I've gathered KCL is a very prestigious uni. KCL ranks consistently high in many league tables. In the Times 2018 it was ranked 7 in the UK and in QS 2018 it is ranked 21 in the world.

If you want to refer to the guardian and CUG where there is an emphasis on student satisfaction yes KCL will always underperform. There is no way KCL without a campus and in London can rank highly on student satisfaction. In fact, we can see this with St Andrews ranking higher then LSE, ICL and Durham which to some may be quite misleading. Rankings do not = prestige anyway. Lancaster is a 'top ten uni' according to CUG and the Guardian yet employers won't regard it as a top ten uni. Prestige is something that isn't gained and lost through a jump in the league tables there are many more factors that add up over time.

Looking at your profile there are many cases where you tried to slander KCLs name and other uni's e.g. "Warick is dead" how tf is anyone supposed to make any decisions off of claims that have no evidence backing them. This is why I hate TSR so many academic snobs who actually know little about what they're talking about but hand out advice like they know everything. The fact you started a thread "does anyone think Oxbridge is just not comparable to other unis" proves my point.

Edit: Lmao also just found out that you are still applying to uni, like me. Why do you think you're qualified to give people advice on their uni choices? There are many experienced TSR members who can give much more helpful responses. Sure if you want to give someone your impressions of an open day that is helpful. But straight up telling people a uni is trash or dead when you haven't even been or offered any stats to back up your arguments is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Exeter/Bath

Kings/Durham

Loughborough

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.