Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a second year maths and stats student at university of Glasgow. My flatmate attempted to kill himself by hanging but he luckily survived. This took a huge impact on me and I've not been keeping up with my studies. Since he's stable now I know he'll be alright. I was just wondering now about my course.
    I'm doing a 5 year masters course. Since I get SAAS, will I get an extra year of funding if I resit the year due to special circumstances? If not will I have to pay for an extra year myself if I resit the year?

Thanks, Ava
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ava,

That's horrible - I'm glad your flatmate survived, but that must have been so difficult for you to go through as well. Are you doing better now?

I can't answer your question about SAAS. However, I know that the university can be sympathetic when people struggle with their studies in circumstances like this. You may not need to repeat a year.

If you haven't already, I would talk to the SRC (www.glasgowstudent.net) in the John McIntyre Building - they have an advice centre and should be able to give you some help with this. I would also think about going to see your doctor about this. If you do need to appeal to the university or SAAS, it may be helpful to have a letter from your doctor about how this has affected you. They also might be able to arrange for you to talk to someone about it, which of course could help you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that is grim. I am glad your flatmate is on the mend. I'd consider speaking to your course convenor to make them aware. If this has already impacted your course and you'd like to resit then the sooner you tell them the better.

There is counselling available on campus as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.