Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should celebrities accused of sexual assault get this much media attention? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the other day.. why do we put so much time into reporting about celebrities who have been accused of sexual assault? What purpose does it achieve? Just because it's celeb gossip? or because they were abusing their status? to raise awareness of sexual abuse and reporting?

It made me think why do we report on celebrities in this fashion and not john from down the road, or that guy at that party just as much?

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean and the worst part is that even when it goes viral after a few days when the story is no longer the latest "gossip" everyone continues with their life like nothing happened and the assaulter usually still has their job and earns thousands whilst the assaulted child/women/men are just burdened or bribed to keep quiet...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I think it's to raise awareness of sexual abuse and reporting it - it's more likely to gain traction with celebrity cases than with John down the road I suppose, which is likely why it's reported in the current manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa7abery)
    I know what you mean and the worst part is that even when it goes viral after a few days when the story is no longer the latest "gossip" everyone continues with their life like nothing happened and the assaulter usually still has their job and earns thousands whilst the assaulted child/women/men are just burdened or bribed to keep quiet...
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I think it's to raise awareness of sexual abuse and reporting it - it's more likely to gain traction with celebrity cases than with John down the road I suppose, which is likely why it's reported in the current manner.
    Yeah I suppose, it's definitely good to gain media attention but I feel like you never actually hear of repercussions..its always 'blah has sought counselling and has checked into a sexual addiction rehab"... I'm sorry but that's just crap. people who take drugs dont get off possession just because they go to rehab, people who go around starting fights don't get of assault charges because they have an addiction to boxing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by squeak)
    Yeah I suppose, it's definitely good to gain media attention but I feel like you never actually hear of repercussions..its always 'blah has sought counselling and has checked into a sexual addiction rehab"... I'm sorry but that's just crap. people who take drugs dont get off possession just because they go to rehab, people who go around starting fights don't get of assault charges because they have an addiction to boxing.
    I think some of the recent outcomes have been more positive though, such as Kevin Spacey having House of Cards cancelled by Netflix from a social side, and police investigations into some of the cases from a legal side?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's also important to remember that these are accusations, most seemingly not even made to the police. Some may have merit, others not. We don't know. But people are treating them like there's already been a court verdict.

Trial by media and public opinion isn't exactly fair. While I'm sure something has probably been going on, I'm at least going to wait until there has been some kind of investigation before I brand them all sex offenders.

But the media aren't exactly taking caution. They want clicks and views, and that's exactly what this controversy is getting them.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    No. What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    I think it's also important to remember that these are accusations, most seemingly not even made to the police. Some may have merit, others not. We don't know. But people are treating them like there's already been a court verdict.

Trial by media and public opinion isn't exactly fair. While I'm sure something has probably been going on, I'm at least going to wait until there has been some kind of investigation before I brand them all sex offenders.

But the media aren't exactly taking caution. They want clicks and views, and that's exactly what this controversy is getting them.
    yeah i agree, thats why i don't understand why there is loads of reporting on it, it's all speculation until its investigated.

it also makes me think what if it's not true, Netflix sacking off spacey from house of cards may have been totally unnecessary, like when a guy gets accused of rape and then turns out not to be true..its too late their lives are already ruined and won't be the same.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking the other day.. why do we put so much time into reporting about celebrities who have been accused of sexual assault? What purpose does it achieve? Just because it's celeb gossip? or because they were abusing their status? to raise awareness of sexual abuse and reporting?

It made me think why do we report on celebrities in this fashion and not john from down the road, or that guy at that party just as much?
    If there was any abuse of power involved, then that is definitely a factor. Also, raising awareness of sexual abuse and reporting is also always good and is therefore another factor.

However, in my opinion, a lot of time should be spent scrutinising these scummy ****s because celebs are ridiculously idolised. It is poetic justice to see it flipped, for the worshippers to see their idol is actually a sick ****.

If a celeb has done these horrible things, they deserve to get all the attention and have their lives ruined. If they want even more in their lives than an insane amount of money, mansions, jets and yachts, then the greedy ****s deserve everything they get.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i agree, thats why i don't understand why there is loads of reporting on it
    Because it's a scandal involving celebrities, and the public will click to read about that. Do you think the media is really going to wait until any of these accusations are verified? Of course not, because there's ad revenue to be made. It's what they do, for better or for worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Because it's a scandal involving celebrities, and the public will click to read about that. Do you think the media is really going to wait until any of these accusations are verified? Of course not, because there's ad revenue to be made. It's what they do, for better or for worse.
    haha yeah, i realised reading that back I dunno why i said that, must have thought for a second that the media had morals and standards :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shadowdweller)
    I think some of the recent outcomes have been more positive though, such as Kevin Spacey having House of Cards cancelled by Netflix from a social side, and police investigations into some of the cases from a legal side?
    Not sure the dozens of people earning their living from the project will see if that way.. Perhaps it will continue with somebody else as with The Thick of It.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

It sells papers/ attracts viewers., which means its worth money.
    It is actual news.
    It exposes even more abuse by encouraging people to come forward.
    People are less interested in John down the road.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Just my opinion)
    Not sure the dozens of people earning their living from the project will see if that way.. Perhaps it will continue with somebody else as with The Thick of It.
    I believe they have refined slightly since to say that the show won't continue with his involvement, which sounds like there's potential to continue it without him :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Generally when there are so many independent accusers who don't really have motive to all suddenly falsely comes forward compared to the people who very much have something to gain by lying, yes, I don't think one needs "proof" to judge. Innocent until proven guilty is a legal concept and it is why they aren't in jail. It still holds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.