Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Politics replace Religious Studies in schools? Watch

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Brexit, fake news, North Korea - maybe we need political education more than ever.

Or should critical awareness of the world be the responsibility of parents and individuals, and schools be left to get on with academic education?

60% of respondents to this survey agreed that Politics should replace Religious Studies on the school curriculum.
    https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...tudies-schools

I'm not sure about this as it seems to me that an awareness of different religions is also pretty important in understanding the world right now.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    They both have a place, though it's not hard to argue that politics has a greater role in everyone's life than religion does.

ReputationRep:
    I believe that Religious Studies should be something taught at home since it's a more personal desire whereas politics should be taught in school however it would most probably be a bunch of brainwashing load of cr**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    Brexit, fake news, North Korea - maybe we need political education more than ever.

Or should critical awareness of the world be the responsibility of parents and individuals, and schools be left to get on with academic education?

60% of respondents to this survey agreed that Politics should replace Religious Studies on the school curriculum.

I'm not sure about this as it seems to me that an awareness of different religions is also pretty important in understanding the world right now.

What do you think?
    I hated Religious studies in school as I've always been atheist/anti-theist. I do think it would be best to improve the studies though to include more religions as my Primary School barely taught anything but Christianity and made us all go to Church.

Political Studies would definitely be more important though. Religions are dying out now so knowing more about Political affairs would certainly help.

We could say, lets remove PE and have better Religious Studies and some Political Studies.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    They both have a place, though it's not hard to argue that politics has a greater role in everyone's life than religion does.
    I'm not at all sure that quite a large proportion of the world's population would agree - maybe in the UK but a significant minority wouldn't feel like that.

(Original post by Sa7abery)
    I believe that Religious Studies should be something taught at home since it's a more personal desire whereas politics should be taught in school however it would most probably be a bunch of brainwashing load of cr**
    Hopefully it wouldn't be - do you think it's like this right now? And is religion always 'personal'?

(Original post by Bio 7)
    I hated Religious studies in school as I've always been atheist/anti-theist. I do think it would be best to improve the studies though to include more religions as my Primary School barely taught anything but Christianity and made us all go to Church.

Political Studies would definitely be more important though. Religions are dying out now so knowing more about Political affairs would certainly help.

We could say, lets remove PE and have better Religious Studies and some Political Studies.
    Surely PE is a reasonable element of the curriculum? It's important to keep healthy and fit and it offers students different types of opportunities to the usual academic stuff

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at all sure that quite a large proportion of the world's population would agree - maybe in the UK but a significant minority wouldn't feel like that.
    The only places that could legimately argue that are those where the church and the state are the same thing.

Here, it isn't. At least not really.

Therefore when the question is asked about which one affects most people day to day and is more worthy of being known and understood, the answer is obvious.

If your question was referring to the curriculums around the world then maybe you have a point, but I took your comment, on a British website aimed predominately at British students, to be about the British education system.

The significant minority are still a minority. We live in a democracy where one party can choose to change the education system and people can vote for or against that party if they disagree. If the minority is that, they lose to the majority.

And that's why they all need to understand politics, not their fairy Godfather in the sky.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see the introduction of political education in our schools, but I'm not sure how I'd propose it was introduced or if I'm completely for it being substituted for RS. :hmmmm2:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    If taught properly, English literature, history, geography and RE can all give students a very good political education, they never need study it separately as a formal subject. A GCSE in Politics... what a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    i understand the basic political situations in the world right now, ive never had a politics lesson in my life and i do RE as a core gcse subject so i would disagree!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    THEOLOGY FOREVER. Theology explores some of the most fundamental questions of humankind- Who we are- Why were are here- It is not merely Theology but possesses and develops literary and historical skills. Religion holds gargantuan power in society and over our species. Religion helps tolerance and helps us discover ideas, the history of thought- Theology is a must!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, all we did in RE/RS was p*ss about

ReputationRep:
    Both are equally as important imo. Politics of course explains the world around us and our civic duty of things like voting, how we can get involved and make an impact etc. But religion is just as important-especially today when religion is so misunderstood and distorted by people within it and outside of it too.

ReputationRep:
    No because the RE GCSE isn't just learning about religions, it includes crime and psychology and the basis for morals in society. You could basically teach yourself about what's going on in the world, you don't need to be spoon-fed to find out who Trump is or what is happening in North Korea

ReputationRep:
    I think RE gives a good insight to other people about the different religions around the world and in order to understand them more. History has a lot of politics in it. My RE lessons were pretty useful lol

ReputationRep:
    I recently dropped RE (a course that we weren't given a choice on whether or not we wanted to study it), and that's because I think that it's ridiculous that we should have to learn about other people's lifestyles. Practice it on your own, don't bring it into my life, please. I would much rather dedicate that time to an extra lesson of science, maths, English, etc.

Also, in what way would it benefit students to know about how other people go about their lives? In my opinion, "having an awareness" of what happens in other religions is of no value to many students. Politics, on the other hand, will affect EVERYONE, and it's important that voters are able to make their own informed decisions rather than just voting for what their parents vote for.
    That being said, I am neutral on the introduction of a politics GCSE. While I think the information is useful, I feel like schools are more responsible for preparing children for their A-levels, rather than giving them political advice.

I think a good solution would be that, in order to vote, people should have to take an aptitude test on politics in order to register to vote, just so the government knows that people understand what the impact of them checking a box will be. This means that the public will feel more inclined to put some effort into researching politics before putting a tick in a box that they may not necessarily understand the significance of.

ReputationRep:

What do you think?
    I’m agnostic, and I think RE is the worst subject to be forced upon. It’s an awful subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)

I don’t think PE should be removed at all. I think it could be improved though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sa7abery)
    Yeah well religious studies is quite literally "a bunch of brainwashing load of crap" from my experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mikos)
    I recently dropped RE (a course that we weren't given a choice on whether or not we wanted to study it), and that's because I think that it's ridiculous that we should have to learn about other people's lifestyles. Practice it on your own, don't bring it into my life, please. I would much rather dedicate that time to an extra lesson of science, maths, English, etc.

Also, in what way would it benefit students to know about how other people go about their lives? In my opinion, "having an awareness" of what happens in other religions is of no value to many students. Politics, on the other hand, will affect EVERYONE, and it's important that voters are able to make their own informed decisions rather than just voting for what their parents vote for.
    That being said, I am neutral on the introduction of a politics GCSE. While I think the information is useful, I feel like schools are more responsible for preparing children for their A-levels, rather than giving them political advice.

I think a good solution would be that, in order to vote, people should have to take an aptitude test on politics in order to register to vote, just so the government knows that people understand what the impact of them checking a box will be. This means that the public will feel more inclined to put some effort into researching politics before putting a tick in a box that they may not necessarily understand the significance of.
    Yes. Give the government a way of barring people to vote on a “legitimate” basis. That definitely can’t go wrong. I am sure no Prime Minister would ever use it as a system of keeping themselves in power.
    Nonetheless. That idea is stupid. Anyone that is a British citizen should be allowed to vote no matter what. Democracy can be seen as a *****y way of running a nation by mob rule, where 6 stupid ppl can out vote 4 smart ones— BUT it is the best humanity has come so far in practice.
    Putting down aptitude tests for voting rights is most definitely a potential slippery slope into an Orwellian sort of world. Not to mention undemocratic as its not the people’s choice but people that the government deems “smart” or “knowledgable” enough to vote.

This would most likely hit the poorer classes and ethnic minority groups and further add do the wealth gap.

Generally people dont vote if they dont care or understand anything anyways. Remoaners are overstating how many people voted on basis of misinformation such as the millions of £££ to NHS if we leave.

ReputationRep:
    YES RE IS SUCH A JOKE. I got educated on Christianity for 5 years with the odd bit of Sikhism thrown in. Compare that to politics - the foundation of modern society, relates to pretty much everyone's life every day, whether it's taxes, health, war, etc the list of importance could go on forever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.