Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've received offers from both Nottingham and Surrey to do aerospace engineering but I'm at a total impasse as to which one to choose. I really liked Surrey's campus from the open day and it's not too far yet not too close from my home. However, I've heard from countless people (including my maths teacher lol) that the nightlife at Nottingham is amazing. Surrey is higher in the rankings and offers a better course but from what I know Nottingham still offers excellent teaching.

Any insight would be great, please help me out!

ReputationRep:
    NGL I'd go with Surrey.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably go with Surrey too.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Notts. Surrey's course looks pretty meh and its reputation is exaggerated as a result of SSTL, which in turn is going to improve its rankings due to the higher entry standards that brings. That would normally be fine, if not absolutely fantastic as you would get a strong industrial link, except Surrey's undergraduate aerospace course barely has any space modules which is a bit like joining the air force and then being trained as light infantry. Sure they're related, but it's not exactly playing to their strengths. And if you're particularly interested in SSTL, they regularly hire from other universities, so it's not like going to Surrey provides an advantage there either and the same goes to the rest of the space industry.

In terms of their stats, looking at uni stats the profile of their graduating students is pretty standard with the exception of a disproportionately high amount of firsts which is a good sign of grade inflation, that could be an advantage in some places but if anyone knows about it then your grade is going to be worth a bit less. Also the % going into engineering is a touch lower than other similar unis.

On the other hand Notts course is quite new, I believe only 1 or 2 cohorts have started at this point. Which means there will be some teething pains, especially for a multidisciplinary program such as aerospace, and it means the degree isn't currently accredited. The good news is that one or 2 cohorts before you is going to get rid of most of those teething problems, and the degree will be accredited by the time you graduate. Their course also better resembles those provided by other top Aerospace unis (they tend to have a fairly similar syllabus, just with a few tweaks) so you can be reasonably sure of the quality of degree despite how new it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.