Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi I got a job interview for general assistant at sainsburys next week. this is my first ever job interview so I have a few questions?

Do they ask you about the background information of sainsburys? Do I need to research this? All I know it was founded in the 1800's by someone called j sainsbury lol.

What else do they ask/talk about? where do they do the interview at? a room somewhere in the store? how long (roughly) would my interview last?

This is a temporary contract, if I do well could I be given a permanent post? When will they tell me?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple2017)
    hi I got a job interview for general assistant at sainsburys next week. this is my first ever job interview so I have a few questions?

Do they ask you about the background information of sainsburys? Do I need to research this? All I know it was founded in the 1800's by someone called j sainsbury lol.

What else do they ask/talk about? where do they do the interview at? a room somewhere in the store? how long (roughly) would my interview last?

This is a temporary contract, if I do well could I be given a permanent post? When will they tell me?
    It's always a good idea to research the company though they may tell you a bit about it at the beginning of the interview. They will want to know about your skills and experience and why you want the job and will be good at it. They may also ask what you would do in certain situations. The other logistical info you really need to ask your store about or they will give you an info pack. Whether or not you get a permanent contract later will depend on a number of factors. You can ask tactfully and make sure you manager knows you're interested if you get the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It's always a good idea to research the company though they may tell you a bit about it at the beginning of the interview. They will want to know about your skills and experience and why you want the job and will be good at it. They may also ask what you would do in certain situations. The other logistical info you really need to ask your store about or they will give you an info pack. Whether or not you get a permanent contract later will depend on a number of factors. You can ask tactfully and make sure you manager knows you're interested if you get the job.
    do.you mean I ask in the interview if I can have a permanent? or wait and ask later down the line (if I get the job)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    do.you mean I ask in the interview if I can have a permanent? or wait and ask later down the line (if I get the job)
    Both! In the interview ask at the end if there is a possibility of the contract becoming permanent. And if you get the job in one of your catchups with your manager make sure they know that you'd like to be considered if a permanent contract comes up.

ReputationRep:
    Both! In the interview ask at the end if there is a possibility of the contract becoming permanent. And if you get the job in one of your catchups with your manager make sure they know that you'd like to be considered if a permanent contract comes up.
    ah ok thanks. My contracted days are Saturday, Sunday & Monday. I can't work Mondays as I'm at school doing my A levels. can i say to them that I can work extra on the Saturday/Sunday or even I could say I could work Mondays as long as it's after school has finished?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    ah ok thanks. My contracted days are Saturday, Sunday & Monday. I can't work Mondays as I'm at school doing my A levels. can i say to them that I can work extra on the Saturday/Sunday or even I could say I could work Mondays as long as it's after school has finished?
    All this you will have to discuss with them as I don't work for Sainsburys and will not be involved in the hiring process. Also bear in mind that if you're under 18 which i assume you are there will be a limit on how many hours you can work.

ReputationRep:
    All this you will have to discuss with them as I don't work for Sainsburys and will not be involved in the hiring process. Also bear in mind that if you're under 18 which i assume you are there will be a limit on how many hours you can work.
    Yes I'm 16. no it's just I'd be worried of them not giving me the job because I can't do one day. each shift is 4 hours long so I'd be working 12 hours per week so I think that should be ok

ReputationRep:
    My bf interviewed for Sainsbury's a few years ago and they asked 'tell me the history of Sainsbury's'. Threw him right off lol!

I can't give you Sainsbury's specific info but I have worked in retail at Boots and Buckingham Palace so can give you some retail insight.

It would be good to think of examples where you've:

- worked in a team
    - showed good customer service
    - persuaded someone to your point of view
    - empathised with someone
    - dealt with a difficult situation/person and how you overcame that struggle
    - been in fast-paced, high-pressure environments and how you cope with that (could come up as I'm assuming it's a Christmas temp job?)

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

I had my Sainsbury's interview about 3 weeks ago, here's what I did:
    - waited for the manager to turn up to interview me
    - went through the boring stuff like showing my passport, ID and confirming I can work the hours (this is where you may have an issue although I'm not sure)
    - went through retail scenario's and questions - when did you work well in a team, what do you think you would do in this roll etc.
    - then had a chat about my long term goal in 5 years time - don't lie here - i told them i want to work in finance and this led to another conversation about her friend or something

Then another mini-assessment:
    - got taken onto the shop floor to list the positive and negatives - empty shelves, messy-ness etc.
    - then had a mini task - I had to put back 6 random items and put it back on the shelf. I got given a tiny alcohol bottle and struggled to find where to put it (as I know nothing about alcohol) but the rest was nice and easy

Just prep most common interview questions and look on Glassdoor

I got the job in the end.

ReputationRep:

Ok so in general terms for an interview you have to do 50% of the talking- make as if you are really enthusiastic about the opportunity. On my sainsbury's interview- they were like what is the best thing about sainsburys- so yo do need to do some research on the company beforehand- like i just spoke about their wide range of fair trade products. and the interview will probably be in the staff area where the break room is.
    The might take you on to the shop floor and ask you to distinguish/ note all of the good things about the aisle and any bad/ things that should be going on that aren't. It is stuff like rollers blocking the aisle, unstocked shelves, ect. the interview lasts roughly 30 mins.
    oh but i am not sure about temporary contracts- likelyhood is that you'll only get a permenant role if a vacancy opens up that suits your hours.

ReputationRep:
    umm... this is a tricky one- my first sainsbury's interview they sussed out that i couldn't do some of the hours so they just rejected me. but they are probably flexible enough for you to do the monday hours after school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.