The Student Room Group

NO clue where to go...

I'm nervous/anxious about applying to university and have been putting it off. I'm undecided where to go and as I went travelling all summer, have only been to one open day. Now my sixth form's deadline for applications is coming up and I have no clue what universities to put on there, and no time to visit universities....

What can I base my choices on? Looking to do Zoology/Biology.
Try to find some here by using this: https://university.which.co.uk/courses
Original post by senrab15
I'm nervous/anxious about applying to university and have been putting it off. I'm undecided where to go and as I went travelling all summer, have only been to one open day. Now my sixth form's deadline for applications is coming up and I have no clue what universities to put on there, and no time to visit universities....

Hey @senrab15

I totally get your situations so hopefully I can help out a bit :smile:

My advice would be to have a look at the league tables, use these as a basis to find out which universities you will likely to be able to get an offer from with your current/predicted grades.

Once you have done this, do a bit of research into where they are in the country. Do you have an idea of where in the country you would like to go? or do you have a limit in terms of only moving a certain distance from home?

These factors will help to narrow down your search a bit. Once you have done this, it might be worth doing some comparisons into the courses that each university offers. Look at how they are taught (exams/coursework etc.) as well as the modules which are involved. Once again this may help to narrow down your search.

Another thing to consider would be the accommodation that is on offer, how expensive it is to live there as well as how far it is from the university.

Finally, I would then do some research into the city, at then end of the day you could be spending the next 3/4 years there, so you want it to be a place that you feel comfortable in. When I was choosing which university to go to, I wanted a city that had loads of places to go out, lots of places to eat and most importantly, it being a city that was bigger than what I was used to but not overwhelmingly big.

Going to an open day isn't the most important thing but just make sure you do your research :smile:

I hope this has given you some idea of where to start, but give me a shout if you have any questions :five:

Chris - NTU Rep
Original post by senrab15

Hey, I'm also applying to Zoology! I'm applying to Swansea, Reading, Exeter, Sussex, and either Bangor or Newcastle. It really varies on what your interested in, for example iv'e looked at courses which don't focus too much on molecular biology as its not something i wont to go into. I'm also applying to places that offer a fourth year to either study or work abroad in industry for a year. You really just need to look at courses and places and see what you do and don't want to do and see if you would feel comfortable in that city. I hope this was some help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending