Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

advice with speeding with a black box Watch

ReputationRep:
    right so im currently insured by co op young driver which means having black box, i did my best to get a policy with out one but i dont have a million pounds to spend so thats why i have this box, anways im averaging a score of 60 out of 100 and im doing usually about 10 over the limit and its ok, is there speeds where they notify you in regards of speed? its just annoying driving from work everyones blasting past and overtaking and im already doing 10 over the limit, and me been a car guy and seeing corsas with fat exhaust fart cans going by revving its tits off it annoys me really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farikofuzion)
    right so im currently insured by co op young driver which means having black box, i did my best to get a policy with out one but i dont have a million pounds to spend so thats why i have this box, anways im averaging a score of 60 out of 100 and im doing usually about 10 over the limit and its ok, is there speeds where they notify you in regards of speed? its just annoying driving from work everyones blasting past and overtaking and im already doing 10 over the limit, and me been a car guy and seeing corsas with fat exhaust fart cans going by revving its tits off it annoys me really.
    If your a car guy you shouldn't have got a box fitted onto your car. Waiting would of been more sensible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You fell for the 'cheaper' option of having a black box so ultimately you're paying the price, unfortunately. (Notice how "cheaper" is in inverted commas).

You shouldn't be doing over the speed limit anyways! :curious:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:
    I'm a car guy too, but don't get sucked in. Have fun drives, definitely, but don't be sucked in 'cause a riced out Corsa passes you and you want to show them who's boss. Keep it safer than that. Nothing wrong with ripping it on a quiet road, when there's nothing around but keep it safe when there's other cars. You might know what you're doing, but other people don't.

I had a black box fitted to my car when I first passed about 5 or so years ago. I think my final score was 97/100 (my first car wasn't even powerful enough to trigger the 'too fast acceleration' thing on the black box even when you floored it... thank god that car's gone!). Anyway, I got a really high score and it literally made no difference to my insurance. When I went to renew, it hadn't come down at all. It's not worth having a black box. That being said, even if your score is poor, if you leave your insurer and go to a new insurer (which I do every renewal, because I find it's cheaper to keep switching than to renew with one place), then they don't have access to your black box score.

I had a friend who was on a Black Box policy with direct line when she passed. She drove like an idiot, and had a terrible black box score. At the end, Direct Line were going to charge something like 2K for her insurance. She swapped to Admiral, like for like, and it was 600 odd. So just swap insurer at the end?

All that aside, you shouldn't be sititng at 10 above the limit, especially on dual carriageways or in traffic. If you're a car guy, you want to preserve your license rather than potentially risk you accruing points which'll knacker your insurance or could put you off the road. 10 above the limit is enough to get 3 points and a fixed penalty notice. Take it from someone who's been there... take it to a track, and keep it off the road. Although, if you wanted to have spirited drives, don't get a black box at all! They're a total con!

ReputationRep:
    Can't imagine you are a "car guy" if you got a black box. Enjoy the look of the backend of those 1.2l sheds, not much you can do while on a black box unless you want to get pumped by their scoring.

ReputationRep:
    'i'm a car guy' = 'i'm a complete penis' - am i right?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.