The Student Room Group

What's the better option for A - Levels: History, Maths or Psychology

I want to pursue a career in medicine so I am sure to pick Chemistry and Biology, however I am not sure what to do for my third A - Level and my AS level subject so can I get some advice? I want to do maths as I know it'll keep the majority of universities open for me but maths is my weakest subject. (i'm expected a level 7 though)
Original post by isadiya
I want to pursue a career in medicine so I am sure to pick Chemistry and Biology, however I am not sure what to do for my third A - Level and my AS level subject so can I get some advice? I want to do maths as I know it'll keep the majority of universities open for me but maths is my weakest subject. (i'm expected a level 7 though)

Chemistry and Biology are the key ones. Only a few require 3 stem. Are you intending to apply to a 3 stem uni? If not then your third becomes less relevant.

Maths is no good if you dont make the grade, so if you dont need the subject then choose the one you enjoy and will get the grade in. Even more if yu are weak at maths then dont apply to a 3 stem uni and get in somewhere else. Common sense.

If you want maths then go for it and back yourself.
whatever you do just dont do psychology, its a waste of time and its not very respected either
maths at AS isn't a step far from the the current 9-1 maths or add maths/further maths gcse so
I am in year 13 and I do psychology. Honestly, I enjoy it so much and I find it helps me a lot when it comes to empathy and altruism. At times, it also links in with biology. I also did maths at AS but dropped it at A2. Maths was something else- I enjoyed some parts but when it came to exams it stressed me out so much. The uncertainty of AS results day killed me, that's how I knew I had to drop it.

What I'm really trying to say here is choose the one you enjoy the most and know you are going to do well in. All universities apart from Cambridge (who want three of maths, chemistry, biology and physics) require only chemistry and biology. If anything, doing something other than the standard chemistry, biology and maths sets you apart from most medical applicants. Good luck though, hope the choice you make is right for you

Quick Reply

Latest