The Student Room Group

gcse requirements for medicine

what gcse grades are needed to get into medical school and become a doctor?
Original post by hira subzwari
what gcse grades are needed to get into medical school and become a doctor?

Have a look here. Unis will out this info on their websites.
a levels have more relevance :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
a levels have more relevance :smile:

Whilst this is true, GCSEs have become ever more important since the removal of AS exams. Most successful applicants will have strong GCSE grades but this isn't to say that you need perfect grades to be successful
Mostly all A/A*s depends where you apply though
Reply 5
Original post by Ajanth.T
GCSEs have become ever more important since the removal of AS exams.

Source?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ajanth.T
Whilst this is true, GCSEs have become ever more important since the removal of AS exams. Most successful applicants will have strong GCSE grades but this isn't to say that you need perfect grades to be successful

yes of course, i wasn’t saying that gcses werent important, i was just making a point that a levels are more revelant on the whole :/
so basically im in set:
1 for english
3 for maths
3 for science but my teachers have offered me the higher paper
so basically im in set:
1 for english
3 for maths
3 for science but my teachers have offered me the higher paper

that shouldn't have much relevance if you put the work in
Original post by TheNlee
that shouldn't have much relevance if you put the work in

any revision tips? :smile:
any revision tips? :smile:

revision tip: you shouldn't need any revision tips if you've worked hard all of the time
If you want a really good chance you should have at least around 5/6A*, however, this isn't coming from any explicit requirement, just my personal encounter whilst going through the application. I received 4A* and I found that it would be very risky and unlikely to receive offers from Birmingham, Oxford, Cardiff, Queen's Belfast (just passed their threshold for last year, risky applying this year IMO), Leicester and a couple others, all of which are very GCSE heavy schools. Though anything lower than 5A* definitely doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, just means some of your options are slightly limited :smile: The UKCAT is equally just as important if not more so make sure you prepare EARLY.

Quick Reply

Latest