Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I want to apply for vet med next year thus need to do lots of work experience.
    At the weekend I applied for a farm work experience placement and they replied saying yes they had spaces free in December and next year but preferably not in school peak work exp months. So I replied saying December would be great and now my mum said I shouldn't have replied without asking her she for really angry at me
    So do you guys think that work experience in a farm in december is fine? It would be the week before Christmas probably. And it is deen city farm in Wimbledon so I may have to get the train and tube there. My mum was apprehensive about this as it will be dark and I have not got the tube by myself before. It would be a good learning curve wouldn't it and I would gain independence? What do you think???? Please help I'm feeling sad.

ReputationRep:
    Ok never mind people! I have changed it to the first week of the April holiday! This will be better because it will be lighter and hopefully lambing season! So this December instead I think I will look for a local kennel to do a week's placement there.

ReputationRep:
    Well done for sorting it out! I hope your Mum is happy now. Just make sure you share with her your plans for the kennels

(Original post by Catlover0161)
    Ok never mind people! I have changed it to the first week of the April holiday! This will be better because it will be lighter and hopefully lambing season! So this December instead I think I will look for a local kennel to do a week's placement there.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it's been resolved, best of luck with finding a placement at a kennel!

For what it's worth I agree with you on this, obviously it isn't my place to say but I think your mother is being unreasonable (unless she had something else planned for that week? :holmes: ) It may be dark (and I do understand that your mother was just concerned for your safety) but it will also be dark during some of your placements at vet school and as you say you will have to learn how to navigate/travel by yourself eventually. Sometimes if I have the time I like to do a dummy run of getting to a placement just so that I know exactly how to get there on my first day. Maybe this could be an option to suggest in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animalmagic)
    Well done for sorting it out! I hope your Mum is happy now. Just make sure you share with her your plans for the kennels
    Aw thank you your so kind💘

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Tail Chaser)
    I'm glad it's been resolved, best of luck with finding a placement at a kennel!

For what it's worth I agree with you on this, obviously it isn't my place to say but I think your mother is being unreasonable (unless she had something else planned for that week? :holmes: ) It may be dark (and I do understand that your mother was just concerned for your safety) but it will also be dark during some of your placements at vet school and as you say you will have to learn how to navigate/travel by yourself eventually. Sometimes if I have the time I like to do a dummy run of getting to a placement just so that I know exactly how to get there on my first day. Maybe this could be an option to suggest in the future?
    Thank you!!!!!💘💘🙌 yh that is a very good idea I will do that thanks. My mum said it would be better to practice when it's light and then it will be easier in the dark haha❤️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.