Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I didn't realise because ... well ... look it happened alright?

I applied to St. Andrews and I had said I would start at year 0, which would be fine if it were not the fact that as I do A-levels I don't need to do another year of catch-up.

I want to alter / edit / change my course so it's direct entry into the 2nd year (year 1) ... how should I go about changing this? Will this affect my application?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    So I didn't realise because ... well ... look it happened alright?

I applied to St. Andrews and I had said I would start at year 0, which would be fine if it were not the fact that as I do A-levels I don't need to do another year of catch-up.

I want to alter / edit / change my course so it's direct entry into the 2nd year (year 1) ... how should I go about changing this? Will this affect my application?
    When did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    When did you apply?
    7th October ... .... I only just looked it into it because I was a bit confused by something my Dad mentioned.

Anyway ... they don't make decisions until January but I would like to sort it out sooner rather than later?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    7th October ... .... I only just looked it into it because I was a bit confused by something my Dad mentioned.

Anyway ... they don't make decisions until January but I would like to sort it out sooner rather than later?
    OK

In that case it's too late to make the changes yourself/using UCAS. You need to contact St Andrews to explain the mistake and ask them to change the entry year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    OK

In that case it's too late to make the changes yourself/using UCAS. You need to contact St Andrews to explain the mistake and ask them to change the entry year.
    Ahh right. Presumably direct the email to their admissions office rather than the physics department?
    How bad does this look on me?

(Original post by DreamlinerFinder)
    Another question- What did you apply for?
    A 5 year course in Theoretical Physics. (I only want to do 4 )
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right. Presumably direct the email to their admissions office rather than the physics department?

Definitely possible- StA says this (https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/physics...r/ug_cours.htm) on their website- I would email Admissions to see if they can change it
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

They won’t care. It’s a really common mistake.

Better than the dozens of applicants we have contacting us every year who applied to the wrong university accidentally (and that can’t be changed after 14 days)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Better than the dozens of applicants we have contacting us every year who applied to the wrong university accidentally (and that can’t be changed after 14 days)
    When I was applying to uni last year, plenty of people I knew accidentally applied to the ex-Poly counterpart of the same city and only realized when the offer they got was unexpectedly low!

They were bloody stressed afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    When I was applying to uni last year, plenty of people I knew accidentally applied to the ex-Poly counterpart of the same city and only realized when the offer they got was unexpectedly low!

They were bloody stressed afterwards!
    (Original post by PQ)

Thanks to all. Hahaha no I am pretty sure I have applied to the right St. Andrews here xD :P

As you say, if it's a common error, with some luck, they won't care and it can all be changed. I've sent them an email saying I think it would be better to get a direct entry and asking them to change it based on my understanding of how highers vs A-levels work (so if I am wrong, they can point it out).

Cheers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.