Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think this is a mental health issue? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Gg

Well if things have reached the point where you are self-harming, then yes, I would say that is clearly a mental health issue that should be taken seriously. I think you should see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Hannah,

What you describe sounds exactly like depression and I feel completely the same! I always write poems and notes that I soon look back on in horror! It can feel really lonely and isolating even when you are surrounded by people who love you, but its great that you still feel comfortable with close family and your partner, now there's some good hope, trust and love to cherish! But the point is you feel like a different person entirely right now and perhaps can't access these positive emotions anymore, and I really sympathise and understand the struggle! Everyone deals with it in different ways, but I really think it would help you to talk to someone about your feelings more, perhaps your partner, parents or a GP. It took me ages to talk to a doctor about how I felt because, in many ways, it is so hidden and non-physical, I too felt ashamed and embarrassed, and not everyone is capable of understanding the condition, but I eventually gave it a go and brought along a letter filled with how I felt when the tears started flooding! hehe. I found Counselling really daunting at first too, but soon found that it can be full of lovely, understanding people. Sometimes depression really stems from nowhere, and it took me a while to start hobbies again and actually feel alive again. I truly wish I could give you a massive hug right now because its so important when you feel low, to know someone cares, doesn't think you're insane, and wants to listen and help.

I hope this helped? and I really hope you feel better soon.

Sophie P.s I'm sorry to suggest the GP also, but I can honestly look back now and say that going along with my Mum saved my life

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.