Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think about how many difficulties it poses, it can create jealousy, paranoia, spread hatred, misinform, make you lonely, addicted and dependent. It can waste your time, lead you to feelings of isolation and low self esteem. It can make you tired, damage your eyes, expose you to the most depraved and misinformed views and videos at a click. It destroys local economies, atomises communities, reduces relationships to crude texting games which destroy self esteem. It can cause unrealistic impressions, lack of empathy, social anxiety, depression, eating disorders.

In other words: what do we get out of it that helps this?

ReputationRep:
    yep.

also gives us ways to communicate and get support any place any time or without even leaving the house
    an almost unlimited source of knowledge
    helps local economy with online shopping

a way like no other to procrastinate
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    lead you to feelings of isolation
    The internet makes me feel like I actually have friends to talk to, it's great. When I was at my most depressed it was one of very few contacts I had with the outside world and the only one with people my own age - who wants to only talk to their support worker all the time?

ReputationRep:
    how else can i get rep tho' ?

:emo:

ReputationRep:
    Its massively helpful to people like my husband who struggles to leave the house because of pain, as it gives him a window to the outside world, and a way to spend time with his friends. It is a fantastic resource for me while I study, and it has supported me and helped me learn more about my specific learning disorder from other people who have it.

ReputationRep:
    Your title is wrong, should read "The human race is TOXIC", the internet is just an enabler.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Dheorl, the internet has actually created so many good things, if I didn’t have internet then I would probably fail all of my exams. The problem is people using the internet for other reasons and for exploiting others, and the people with no self control excessively using it, which I admit I do. But it’s us that ruined the internet, not the internet that ruined us.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you to an extent, but we can also reduce those feelings by choosing what we do online.

For example, I find social media can be quite toxic so I'm not afraid to unfollow or unfriend certain people - or avoid using the sites altogether.

On the other hand, the internet has such a vast wealth of information we can use to enrich our lives at the simple cost of an internet connection (or even free if you're using public Wi-Fi), which is pretty amazing.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I think the internet can certainly be toxic, but it has benefits too. Starting friendships, relationships, and easier contact with existing friends from a social side, and more awareness and support for charity or support based issues from another perspective, to name a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Think about how many difficulties it poses, it can create jealousy, paranoia, spread hatred, misinform, make you lonely, addicted and dependent. It can waste your time, lead you to feelings of isolation and low self esteem. It can make you tired, damage your eyes, expose you to the most depraved and misinformed views and videos at a click. It destroys local economies, atomises communities, reduces relationships to crude texting games which destroy self esteem. It can cause unrealistic impressions, lack of empathy, social anxiety, depression, eating disorders.

In other words: what do we get out of it that helps this?
    You can't change the way the internet is. Or at least I don't think it'd be possible. Besides, the internet is pretty much the only place where any things can be said regardless whether you like them or not right? I guess the only thing you can do is be aware of what you're doing and not trying to change something like the internet. Things like social media are pretty much cancer imo, but its pretty fun knowing the other side of the reason why people would use social media. But basically, internet has both good and bad sides and that's the beauty of it, having the choice. Idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oksafebye)
    I agree with Dheorl, the internet has actually created so many good things, if I didn’t have internet then I would probably fail all of my exams. The problem is people using the internet for other reasons and for exploiting others, and the people with no self control excessively using it, which I admit I do. But it’s us that ruined the internet, not the internet that ruined us.
    Omg I love your avatar!! She's so funny in Daria 💖

And I agree. If used properly like academic research and basic media like watching and sharing but this social media **** is so extra. The thing is the formula to be successful and a celebrity nowadays is far too simple: post a photo or crap video, and voila. It's terrible because people don't work hard to earn anymore. They're legit just making ******** and living off being on the internet full time!? Not even with millions of followers either. Like 10k. The ease blurs very important lines between what great and useful really is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.