Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well this is my coursework question, and I been having a rough time building it up. My points are:

Contrast is used to construct context
    The abundance of contrast in the novel cements a clear background in the reader's minds. <--- gotta expand this but i'm still thinking...

Contrast is used to create conflict within the novel
    Stephen and Keith's different personalities inevitably clash, creating conflict

Contrast is used to give a sense of progress in the novel, through Stephen's transition, from childhood to adolescence
    Stephen is shown to be more mature gradually as the novel progresses. When the readers look back and reflect upon how Stephen has changed, they are hit with a stark contrast in personality and this intensifies and strengthens the sense of growth.

Contrast is used to create fear
    Stephen is scared of the tramp and Keith's dad because of the sense of difference drawn from their unknown nature

Contrast is used in the form of a dual narrative which then creates a sense of ambiguity
    Older Stephen's second guesses and younger Stephen's innocence means that the readers aren't given a clear picture, and are forced to make deductions, which works like a cliff hanger in effect, grabbing their attention.

Those are my main points. What I've written below them is the route that i've taken into interpreting its effects.
    I still need to work on my first point, and I am afraid that point 2 and 3 may be too similar, as in contrast is used to introduce a different theme.
    For my last point, I am questioning myself whether if i am focusing on the effect of contrast or actually i'm thinking about the the effect of a dual narrative. df Also, concerning my second point about conflict, again, I'm asking myself, is conflict created thorough contrasting personalities or actually just Keith's poor treatment of Stephen?

Please help, any criticism is fine, I just want to know how i can be more clear and focused in my writing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.