The Student Room Group

Things to say and do when meeting up with a girl for the first time

Hi, I matched with a girl on Tinder (fellow student at uni) and we've really clicked (mainly because of my *****y jokes) and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and answer my questions:
- It's cold af right now, should I ask to hold hands?
- Is it good to compliment the way she looks? (I think she looks beautiful going by the tinder photos)
- Eye contact? Is it good to maintain it for as long as possible or take pauses and look away from time to time?
- How long should the meetup go on for?
- Do I stand at full height? When I do stand at full height, most people only see my face from a really ugly perspective but then again, slouching would make me look weak.
- Do I flirt or just ask questions?

This is my first time so sorry if the questions are horrendously stupid/obvious.

Cheers!
Reply 1
Same thing you do when meeting anyone else for the first time, get to know them more. Ask questions about their interests, hobbies, university/school/work and so on.

Flirt if you want but your aim is to try and know more about her than before you met.

Compliments are fine but don't overdo it.

Of course you should look at her, otherwise it looks like you're not interested.

It goes on for as long as it can, there's no set time.
If you've been texting each other and getting along via texts I"m sure that she's meeting with you because she likes your personality. I trust that you are meeting her to get to know her and not just for a hookup up (Tinder). I don't sense that from you post though. So assuming you are wanting to get to know her then ask her open ended questions about herself and follow up with questions. Do keep good eye contact especially while she's talking but don't just stare at her - that'll freak her out. Keep eye contact as you would with anyone telling you something fascinating, blink occasionally and nod your head acknowledging that your listening to her and agree w/ what she's saying.
Don't ask to hold her hand. In fact I wouldn't hold her hand on the very first date unless you both are just clicking and having strong chemistry. I'd ask her out on a second date (if you've had a good time) and on that date don't ask... just as you're walking somewhere reach over and casually take her hand.
Start the date w/ just asking her questions about her past and her interests etc. etc. Then if it feels like you are really getting along and the conversation is flowing you can add some light flirting.
Definitely stand your full height. If she is interested in getting to know you better then the angle she sees you from will not matter in the least. If you slouch you'll seem not confident and that is not the message you want to send to her.
As far as how long the date last that will depend on how well you click. If she doesn't want to keep the evening (or afternoon) going don't take it personally because she doesn't really know you that well. Hopefully you click and you have a long time chatting and getting to know each other but it can go either way and still be good.
Best of Luck to you!
Reply 3
Original post by Hopefully1
If you've been texting each other and getting along via texts I"m sure that she's meeting with you because she likes your personality. I trust that you are meeting her to get to know her and not just for a hookup up (Tinder). I don't sense that from you post though. So assuming you are wanting to get to know her then ask her open ended questions about herself and follow up with questions. Do keep good eye contact especially while she's talking but don't just stare at her - that'll freak her out. Keep eye contact as you would with anyone telling you something fascinating, blink occasionally and nod your head acknowledging that your listening to her and agree w/ what she's saying.
Don't ask to hold her hand. In fact I wouldn't hold her hand on the very first date unless you both are just clicking and having strong chemistry. I'd ask her out on a second date (if you've had a good time) and on that date don't ask... just as you're walking somewhere reach over and casually take her hand.
Start the date w/ just asking her questions about her past and her interests etc. etc. Then if it feels like you are really getting along and the conversation is flowing you can add some light flirting.
Definitely stand your full height. If she is interested in getting to know you better then the angle she sees you from will not matter in the least. If you slouch you'll seem not confident and that is not the message you want to send to her.
As far as how long the date last that will depend on how well you click. If she doesn't want to keep the evening (or afternoon) going don't take it personally because she doesn't really know you that well. Hopefully you click and you have a long time chatting and getting to know each other but it can go either way and still be good.
Best of Luck to you!

Thank you both ever so much for the responses, I really appreciate it!
I'll let you know how it goes, hope you enjoy the rest of your week :smile:
Original post by ElAshtonio
Thank you both ever so much for the responses, I really appreciate it!
I'll let you know how it goes, hope you enjoy the rest of your week :smile:

I hope you will let us know because when one posts on here we rarely hear about what happens.

Hope you have a great date!
Reply 5
Original post by Hopefully1
I hope you will let us know because when one posts on here we rarely hear about what happens.

Hope you have a great date!

Hey, the dreaded date happened and.....

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ElAshtonio
Hey, the dreaded date happened and.....

Spoiler

Wonderful News!!! YAY!! Nothing will ever go completely as planned but you're meeting her housemates and going out for drinks this weekend! She wouldn't invite just anyone to do that! Thanks for letting me know!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending