Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    which of these two unis is better for english lit and for getting a good job?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by cuttlebone)
    what is it you re looking for in a university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    what is it you re looking for in a university?
    career prospects
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    career prospects
    i m struggling to find the employment rate for that course at those universities, the work experience that you get outside of your university is what matters most. Compare the modules and the assignment types and things like that, see which you prefer .

ReputationRep:
    i m struggling to find the employment rate for that course at those universities, the work experience that you get outside of your university is what matters most. Compare the modules and the assignment types and things like that, see which you prefer .
    okay, thank you. so will an employer care where i got my degree from out of these three unis? will it make a difference?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    okay, thank you. so will an employer care where i got my degree from out of these three unis? will it make a difference?
    It wouldnt make a major difference, the relevant experience you have to the job is most important.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldnt make a major difference, the relevant experience you have to the job is most important.
    okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    Prestige employers tend not to care anyway, and for those 3 in particular there'll barely be anything between them given that they're not big names. Career prospects for english will vary wildly depending on many factors other than the uni, like work experience and such like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Prestige employers tend not to care anyway, and for those 3 in particular there'll barely be anything between them given that they're not big names. Career prospects for english will vary wildly depending on many factors other than the uni, like work experience and such like.
    okay thank you!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Cuttlebone :hello:

The best advise we could give would be for you to attend each of the Open Days and get a feel of each of the universities. You can then attend the subject talks and speak to the academics directly with any subject specific questions. If you are unable to attend the Open Days you can contact them directly to arrange a tour and meeting with an academic. We offer these every Tuesday & Thursday either 11 am or 2 pm and you can contact us by emailing [email protected].

Of course I cannot comment on stats for other universities but I can inform you that our overall employability rate for Liverpool Hope University is 96.5% above the national average which is 94.3% This is an overall rate and not subject specific.

I hope this helps but if you have any questions please give me a shout . If you have any questions specifically regarding the course content, I can pass this on to an academic too.

Ruth
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi cuttlebone :wavey:

It's great to hear you're considering Edge Hill as one of your choices!

To answer the question on our employment rates on the most recent figures I have 95% of our English graduates were in work or further study six months after graduating, and we've previously had feedback from our English Literature students that 100% were satisfied with their course. Many of our students also take up placements with our University Press to gain useful work experience in while they study with us.

I'd echo what Ruth said (hi Ruth!) that going to an Open day is a great way to see which University might be the best fit for you. It will give you a chance to speak to current students and lecturers, see the facilities and get a feel for the campus to see if it's somewhere you'd enjoy spending the three years of your degree. We have two more Open Days coming up and also regular campus tours if you'd like to pay us a visit.

I'd also recommend taking a look at the modules and content of each of the courses to make sure they sound like things you want to study. English Literature with us may look different to the modules at other unis so this is really worth a look.

If you have any other questions about the course let me know and I can put you in touch with a member of the English department

Hannah

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 9, 2017

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.