Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I even revise for the new English language paper Watch

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I have no idea how ??

Like do I just get random texts and try and analyse them??

I've looked everywhere and maybe I'm dumb but I can't find anything

especially with the new specification, I get super confused.

ReputationRep:
    I thought exactly the same thing before we had our first mock. Apparently, you should practice finding language techniques and structural techniques.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadi432)
    I thought exactly the same thing before we had our first mock. Apparently, you should practice finding language techniques and structural techniques.

Ohh
    BUT, from random texts or what ?

On a side note, everyone seems to be doing mocks now ?? Mine are during the last week of school - 11th-15th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yuukoni)
    Ohh
    BUT, from random texts or what ?

On a side note, everyone seems to be doing mocks now ?? Mine are during the last week of school - 11th-15th
    Maybe practice papers, not sure. Also, maybe it's slightly different for your school, I have my last mock tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to know the following:

Technical devices: why they are used and the effect on the reader. Such as simile, metaphor, assonance, alliteration, repetition, cliche, homophones, irony, onomatopoeia etc.

Sentence structure: types of sentences, why they are used, isolated sentences, paragraph structure, linear and looped timing in a plot, for shadowing, discourse markers, how to see a flow in text and how it relates to the plot etc..

Inferred information: reading between the lines to get an underlying subplot that isn't actually written, but is suggested by words.

How to quote, analyse and explain why the author uses it, and the effects on the reader.

Paper 1 is about creative writing so question 5 asks you to write a descriptive or story piece.

Paper 2 is about analyse of 2 texts (usually a 18th century piece and one older) with similar subjects. You will need to know how to compare a point of view, discuss your view point and be persuasive. You will also need to know how to write an essay/article/newspaper piece/advertisement etc.

The exam is based on a pyramid of knowledge, you have to tick everything in grade 1 to move up to 2 and so on up to 4 with that having the most marks. Paper one is 80 marks, and paper two is the same, the marks of each are added up to give you the final grade, plus the presentation mark. Thus my mark was grade 8 with merit which was an A* equivalent.

The way to prepare - read different century pieces. Take one page and see if you can answer the sample questions for it, Practice your creative writing.

As part of the exam you also need to do a 10 minute presentation, which is recorded. You have to hit certain markers for that to get pass which is needed to go into the written exam, so if you don't pass that you don't even sit the papers. That is divided up into 3 groups - a pass, merit and a distinction.

This is everything your teacher should discuss with you. I personally made up a cheat sheet book with mind maps, cheat sheets, acronyms, tables with description of what was required for each paper and each question. This I carried with me everywhere to revise.

I also suggest you watch Mr Bruff and Mr Salles videos on You Tube. I did for the first one and went up a grade from my mock exam.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe practice papers, not sure. Also, maybe it's slightly different for your school, I have my last mock tomorrow.
    Yeah, I thought maybe practice papers too but ??

Is the English 1-9 different to the G-A* ??

Wow, good luck with your last mocks !!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I thought maybe practice papers too but ??

Is the English 1-9 different to the G-A* ??

Wow, good luck with your last mocks !!
    Not sure, but we already know how the questions are structured so if you can find any practice papers similar, or, you can use the ones from the current Year 11.

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    You'll need to know the following:

Technical devices: why they are used and the effect on the reader. Such as simile, metaphor, assonance, alliteration, repetition, cliche, homophones, irony, onomatopoeia etc.

Sentence structure: types of sentences, why they are used, isolated sentences, paragraph structure, linear and looped timing in a plot, for shadowing, discourse markers, how to see a flow in text and how it relates to the plot etc..

Inferred information: reading between the lines to get an underlying subplot that isn't actually written, but is suggested by words.

How to quote, analyse and explain why the author uses it, and the effects on the reader.

Paper 1 is about creative writing so question 5 asks you to write a descriptive or story piece.

Paper 2 is about analyse of 2 texts (usually a 18th century piece and one older) with similar subjects. You will need to know how to compare a point of view, discuss your view point and be persuasive. You will also need to know how to write an essay/article/newspaper piece/advertisement etc.

The exam is based on a pyramid of knowledge, you have to tick everything in grade 1 to move up to 2 and so on up to 4 with that having the most marks. Paper one is 80 marks, and paper two is the same, the marks of each are added up to give you the final grade, plus the presentation mark. Thus my mark was grade 8 with merit which was an A* equivalent.

The way to prepare - read different century pieces. Take one page and see if you can answer the sample questions for it, Practice your creative writing.

As part of the exam you also need to do a 10 minute presentation, which is recorded. You have to hit certain markers for that to get pass which is needed to go into the written exam, so if you don't pass that you don't even sit the papers. That is divided up into 2 groups - a pass, merit and a distinction.

This is everything your teacher should discuss with you. I personally made up a cheat sheet book with mind maps, cheat sheets, acronyms, tables with description of what was required for each paper and each question. This I carried with me everywhere to revise.

I also suggest you watch Mr Bruff and Mr Salles videos on You Tube. I did for the first one and went up a grade from my mock exam.
    Holy !! Thank you so much !!
    I actually found Mr Salles a little while ago so I'll definitely watch him and Mr Bruff!

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure, but we already know how the questions are structured so if you can find any practice papers similar, or, you can use the ones from the current Year 11.

Thanks for the luck, I'll need it!
    True, it's just the previous yr 11 were the first ones to do the papers and I can't find those anywhere, thankfully, there's a parents evening coming up so I'll probably be able to ask for papers then.

No problem!

ReputationRep:
    Holy !! Thank you so much !!
    I actually found Mr Salles a little while ago so I'll definitely watch him and Mr Bruff!

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN!!
    Also look at the marks scheme... write an essay based on what the mark scheme asks and you’re cool.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    hi, what I did was I went over the question types and how to answer them as you can't really revise material as it will be different questions. so just go over the types of questions and keep writing different answers out, maybe ask your teacher to read them and see if you could improve your structure or vocabulary best of
    luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bethanx141)
    hi, what I did was I went over the question types and how to answer them as you can't really revise material as it will be different questions. so just go over the types of questions and keep writing different answers out, maybe ask your teacher to read them and see if you could improve your structure or vocabulary best of
    luck!!
    Thank you so much !

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thank you guys so much for the advice, though there's one thing I want to just say.

I don't have any trouble with the writing, vocab and all that nice jazz.

I know how to analyse the texts and their meaning quite well, actually.

I think the real thing I have trouble with is writing about the language analysis of texts as well as talking about the structure of it that'll pop up within the exams.

Maybe it's just something I'll learn to do over time and with practise since I've only sat a couple of assessments and tests in my life.

Thanks again !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.