Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How student finance ruined my degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everyone else is enjoying student life to the fullest, moving out, making friends, taking part in activities. However , thanks to student finance i am competently excluded from that, i will now have to drop out of university this week because i can not afford it.
    This has noting to do with how much i'm receiving, this is to do with the fact that i haven't gotten anything , even though i have had multiple confirmation letters stating that i am entitled and the amount.
    Everytime i call them i get ' the period to look over the evidence has extended ' , this went from 10 to 20 to 34 and now 36 working days for the EEA migrant worker team. I have to submit evidence every term that my parent/carer is in employment which then needs to get evaluated and processed.
    My parents have given me over close to £2k already , i couldn't afford the rent so had to cancel the contract losing the deposit, i can not afford to buy all my books , nor the commute to university. The reason why i have to drop out is that it will be a complete gamble to stay in as i am unsure of whether i will receive funding at all yesterday i was told ' the documents must have gotten lost in the mail' , while 3 hours later they informed me ' oh i apologise that you have gotten the wrong information'. And if i do not back out before my class test on Thursday , my offer will not be held for me for next year if i do have to leave due to the financial issues.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss shiino)
    Everyone else is enjoying student life to the fullest, moving out, making friends, taking part in activities. However , thanks to student finance i am competently excluded from that, i will now have to drop out of university this week because i can not afford it.
    This has noting to do with how much i'm receiving, this is to do with the fact that i haven't gotten anything , even though i have had multiple confirmation letters stating that i am entitled and the amount.
    Everytime i call them i get ' the period to look over the evidence has extended ' , this went from 10 to 20 to 34 and now 36 working days for the EEA migrant worker team. I have to submit evidence every term that my parent/carer is in employment which then needs to get evaluated and processed.
    My parents have given me over close to £2k already , i couldn't afford the rent so had to cancel the contract losing the deposit, i can not afford to buy all my books , nor the commute to university. The reason why i have to drop out is that it will be a complete gamble to stay in as i am unsure of whether i will receive funding at all yesterday i was told ' the documents must have gotten lost in the mail' , while 3 hours later they informed me ' oh i apologise that you have gotten the wrong information'. And if i do not back out before my class test on Thursday , my offer will not be held for me for next year if i do have to leave due to the financial issues.
    When did you apply for student finance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    When did you apply for student finance?
    I applied in April-May time, they received the evidence (September payslips) on the 20th of September , it has been confirmed multiple times throughout the phone
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss shiino)
    I applied in April-May time, they received the evidence (September payslips) on the 20th of September , it has been confirmed multiple times throughout the phone
    So rather late, then, albeit before the deadline?

The question is, why did it take until September for you to send off evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    So rather late, then, albeit before the deadline?

The question is, why did it take until September for you to send off evidence?
    As an EEA migrant, you need to send payslips of the month before term starts , so September2017 , December2017 and March 2018. This is extra evidence on top of the original one to confirm that your parent/carer is still in employment. The payslip was received by my parent on the around the 15th and i immediately sent it off, it took them 4 working days to put it into the system...and here i am

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.