Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does social background restrict potential partner possibilities? Watch

I come from a single parent household, and with a added difficulty, a parent who is medically unable to work - a fact that throughout school, I have always been rather ashamed of. Those living with both of their parents appear naturally much more confident than me. I guess that the additional love they receive at home as well as their parents being able to afford better clothes and more social clubs for them enables them to be more richly experienced and feel confident.

Realistically then, is ones choice of partner restricted by their social background?

Despite my relatively unfortunate start, I am at (a good RG) University and have good ambitions. I am also described as someone with a nice personality (my mild-moderate Aspergers gives me a very moral and 'likeable' persona). I do however continue to lack any real social confidence at University.

So I am just wondering, for both my self and personal situation, and more generally - Does social background restrict potential partner possibilities?

ReputationRep:
    Yep

(Original post by Lepidolite)
    Yep
    How?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. As long as you work hard then I don't see why there would be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll be fine.

I believe nice people all deserve and will get far in life. Don't change yourself for others and stay blessed!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Yes it does, look at people in real life.

However if you're at a good uni you're not really lower class anymore so there's no need to be worried.

If you went to eton but dropped out and did some min wage crap (and family didn't give you money) the rest of your life you'd be lower class.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    However if you're at a good uni you're not really lower class anymore so there's no need to be worried.
    How does just attending a good Uni automatically alter your social class overnight?

Yes it does, look at people in real life
    Please could you give examples?

How does just attending a good Uni automatically alter your social class overnight?

Please could you give examples?
    I can't really post specific examples but everyone I know in real life generally has only dated within their class.

Walk around a poor area for a day and count the number of couples where one appears educated/rich and the other is "chavvy"/poor. You'll find almost none.

Same thing applies if you go into a rich area.

Surely at school it was immediately obvious (unless you were at a private/grammar school), the people who clearly came from rougher backgrounds generally weren't friends with the people from better backgrounds.

I don't see why you're worried if you're at a good university though, people look down on children of single mothers because a lot of the time the children don't turn out very well (which obviously isn't true in your case).

Suppose if you were a 'nice' person (kind personality, friendly, likeable etc.), however, just from a bit of a disadvantaged social background, can you still mix with nice people, including those from more affluent backgrounds?

I guess that a lot of people from my type of background will turn to bad things, so I am a bit of an anomaly in the sense that despite everything, I have a very strong work ethnic and 'lovely personality'.

Suppose if you were a 'nice' person (kind personality, friendly, likeable etc.), however, just from a bit of a disadvantaged social background, can you still mix with nice people, including those from more affluent backgrounds? Is it possible for them to like you (even just as friends) even though you are not from their background?

I guess that a lot of people from my type of background will turn to bad things, so I am a bit of an anomaly in the sense that despite everything, I have a very strong work ethnic and 'lovely personality'.

Suppose if you were a 'nice' person (kind personality, friendly, likeable etc.), however, just from a bit of a disadvantaged social background, can you still mix with nice people, including those from more affluent backgrounds? Is it possible for them to like you (even just as friends) even though you are not from their background?

ReputationRep:
    It definitely shouldn't, you should be judged as a person, not on your background. But unfortunately many do look down upon this, anyone who does isn't worth being in a relationship anyway. The right ones won't care about your background but your personality.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think it does. I'm working class and for a few years all of my peers have been quite middle class with some working class, and i've gotten on way more witht he working class people. it's how highly you hold it in your identity too. I find it hard to relate to middle class people as they don't have the same view of the world as me, but some people don't have that

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.