Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    DON'T GET MAD PLEASE
    I know that loads of posts like this has been made before and people get extremely pissed off but I've read every single one of them and still in the grey zone, I've spoken to my careers adviser but she was as helpful as a brick wall.

SOME CONTEXT
    I was a fairly bright kid growing up and before you judge me on my GCSE grades I had straight A's for my year 10 mocks, so before I get people saying I'm not capable to be a Doctor I'd like to say I am. (I'm so sorry I don't know how else to phrase it without looking like a big headed douche).

I wanted to be an accountant originally because all I wanted was £££ but over summer I learned that money isn't what completes life. Originally the idea of staying in education to be 100K in debt at the end of it was very off putting but over the summer I fell in love with helping people and had a little epiphany thing and being a Doctor was just perfect. Then all of a sudden I got myself a GF, she messed my head up for the whole of Year 11 therefore during my GCSE's I was in a horrible state of mind. That's all for context because I don't want to basically post my personal statement up.

GCSE RESULTS
    Maths- 6 (I am resitting and will 100% get a 7 or an 8)
    English Lit - 4
    English Lang- 5
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - B
    R.E. - B
    Geography - B
    Computer Science - B
    French - C

A Levels
    I am doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A Level and doing extremely well in everything. I've learned from my mistakes and am currently a straight A* student at the moment.

MY PROBLEM
    Say I had the relevant work experience, great UKCAT scores, good personal statement, is there a possibility of me getting in. Literally the only Uni's I can apply to (I've checked) are Newcastle and Bristol (after I get my 7 in Maths) and then Cambridge but I'm only applying there for the sake of applying I'm bound to not get in.

So wise people of TSR should I even bother trying?
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebeastfromthe)
    DON'T GET MAD PLEASE
    I know that loads of posts like this has been made before and people get extremely pissed off but I've read every single one of them and still in the grey zone, I've spoken to my careers adviser but she was as helpful as a brick wall.

SOME CONTEXT
    I was a fairly bright kid growing up and before you judge me on my GCSE grades I had straight A's for my year 10 mocks, so before I get people saying I'm not capable to be a Doctor I'd like to say I am. (I'm so sorry I don't know how else to phrase it without looking like a big headed douche).

I wanted to be an accountant originally because all I wanted was £££ but over summer I learned that money isn't what completes life. Originally the idea of staying in education to be 100K in debt at the end of it was very off putting but over the summer I fell in love with helping people and had a little epiphany thing and being a Doctor was just perfect. Then all of a sudden I got myself a GF, she messed my head up for the whole of Year 11 therefore during my GCSE's I was in a horrible state of mind. That's all for context because I don't want to basically post my personal statement up.

GCSE RESULTS
    English Lit - 4
    English Lang- 5
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - B
    R.E. - B
    Geography - B
    Computer Science - B
    French - C

A Levels
    I am doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry at A Level and doing extremely well in everything. I've learned from my mistakes and am currently a straight A* student at the moment.

MY PROBLEM
    Say I had the relevant work experience, great UKCAT scores, good personal statement, is there a possibility of me getting in. Literally the only Uni's I can apply to (I've checked) are Newcastle and Bristol (after I get my 7 in Maths) and then Cambridge but I'm only applying there for the sake of applying I'm bound to not get in.

Moved to Medicine

ReputationRep:
    yeah you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few of the medical universities, require a 6 in english language but otherwise you gucci.

ReputationRep:
    DON'T GET MAD PLEASE

SOME CONTEXT

GCSE RESULTS
    English Lit - 4
    English Lang- 5
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - B
    R.E. - B
    Geography - B
    Computer Science - B
    French - C

A Levels

MY PROBLEM

You can try if you want, but the remember the competition will be high and you must be determined to do well in A-level and UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    If I were aiming for oxbridge or other GCSE heavy unis I would honestly resit some of them or just redo year 11 altogether...

Otherwise you should be fine.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Well constructed thread, much better than the usual "I have 100 A*s, can I get in?"

The important obstacle is your C/equivalent Eng and Maths GCSE. Why don't you retake Eng at the same time as retaking Maths? And why are you so certain you'd improve for your Maths?

Finally, as the above posters have asked have you applied for 2018 entry? You can't "save" a UKCAT for next year so however good your scores are this year, they won't be valid for 2019 entry.

Good luck and ask me if any Qs!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

You should be fine, providing you get the 7.
    However, in order to strengthen your application, I would recommend you having great work experience that you can reflect on and justify what you've learnt (You will most likely be asked this, should you qualify for interviews).
    Also, consider taking the BMAT and applying for universities such as Imperial (It's a six year course but it doesn't consider GCSE's in the application process [This was the case for 2017 entry, so double check]. If you're a A* student at ALEVEL, then you should find the BMAT fairly manageable.
    Avoid applying to universities that score your GCSE's, unfortunately, you most likely won't stand a chance at those institutions.

Hope that helps & Good luck!

DON'T GET MAD PLEASE

SOME CONTEXT

GCSE RESULTS
    English Lit - 4
    English Lang- 5
    Chemistry - A
    Biology - A
    Physics - B
    R.E. - B
    Geography - B
    Computer Science - B
    French - C

A Levels

MY PROBLEM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ecolier)
    Well constructed thread, much better than the usual "I have 100 A*s, can I get in?"

The important obstacle is your C/equivalent Eng and Maths GCSE. Why don't you retake Eng at the same time as retaking Maths? And why are you so certain you'd improve for your Maths?

Finally, as the above posters have asked have you applied for 2018 entry? You can't "save" a UKCAT for next year so however good your scores are this year, they won't be valid for 2019 entry.

Good luck and ask me if any Qs!
    Thank you ever so much for the reply! (and everyone else) Maths was my favorite subject and I had a little ego, where I'd get close to full marks without never revising. I obviously should have revised but at A Level I'm actually revising and doing really well, also I had an 8 in Year 10.

With English I don't know if I will be able to because it was always my weakest subject but I have been heavily considering redoing it.

I've just started Sixth Form so I would be 2019 entry. (applying 2018)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.