Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,
    I've taken out a PG Loan for a MSc being studied over 3 years starting now 2017/2018 academic year but have just been accepted onto a PGCE for next year 2018/2019 and will need to apply for finance (tuition and maintenance loans) for that.

I plan on going back to the MSc once I finish the PGCE and the MSc Uni are OK with that.

Can I suspend the PG Loan at the end of this academic year and get funding for the PGCE in 2018/2019? Or would I have to withdraw from the PG Loan in order to be able to get funding for the PGCE?

I've also assumed that I can get funding for a PGCE after having had a PG Loan?

Thank you!!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by lottie2017)
    Hi All,
    I've taken out a PG Loan for a MSc being studied over 3 years starting now 2017/2018 academic year but have just been accepted onto a PGCE for next year 2018/2019 and will need to apply for finance (tuition and maintenance loans) for that.

I plan on going back to the MSc once I finish the PGCE and the MSc Uni are OK with that.

Can I suspend the PG Loan at the end of this academic year and get funding for the PGCE in 2018/2019? Or would I have to withdraw from the PG Loan in order to be able to get funding for the PGCE?

I've also assumed that I can get funding for a PGCE after having had a PG Loan?

Thank you!!
    Hi lottie2017,

If you have already receive a payment for your Postgraduate Loan you would not be able to suspend the Masters course and go back to this at a later date. The Postgraduate Loan funding is only funded once.You could certainly apply for the PGCE course once your masters course was completed.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise E SFE)
    Hi lottie2017,

If you have already receive a payment for your Postgraduate Loan you would not be able to suspend the Masters course and go back to this at a later date. The Postgraduate Loan funding is only funded once.You could certainly apply for the PGCE course once your masters course was completed.

Thanks

Louise
    I'm starting the teacher training Sept 2018 so guess the only option is for me to withdraw from the Masters funding so I can apply for PGCE funding. The Masters is with the Open University so they are happy to have me on the Masters but not studying while I complete the PGCE (so suspend the Masters study while doing the PGCE).
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi lottie2017,

The Open University may be happy to suspend you while you do the PGCE but you will not get funding from us for the PGCE until you have withdrawn from your Masters course as we cannot fund you for two courses at the same time. (A suspended course is still classed as a current course even though you wouldn't be receiving payment until you resumed study).

You would need to ask the Open University to electronically send us a Change of Circumstances (CoC) to advise us you have withdrawn from the Masters course. Once the withdrawal has been processed you would be able to apply for your PGCE funding online when applications open around February 2018. You would apply for undergraduate funding for your PGCE as this is an exception course.

Thanks

Laura

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura S SFE)
    Hi lottie2017,

The Open University may be happy to suspend you while you do the PGCE but you will not get funding from us for the PGCE until you have withdrawn from your Masters course as we cannot fund you for two courses at the same time. (A suspended course is still classed as a current course even though you wouldn't be receiving payment until you resumed study).

You would need to ask the Open University to electronically send us a Change of Circumstances (CoC) to advise us you have withdrawn from the Masters course. Once the withdrawal has been processed you would be able to apply for your PGCE funding online when applications open around February 2018. You would apply for undergraduate funding for your PGCE as this is an exception course.

Thanks

Laura
    Hi Laura,
    Thank you for confirming all this :-)
    Regards
    Charlotte

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.