lostmyhead_
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
My EPQ question is "To what extent do translations of classical literature offer an inaccurate portrayal of the original work?", something I thought was quite interesting as I enjoy the literature side of classics. However, I feel like I've really limited myself because I can't analyse all the ancient languages and I can't read the original texts so I feel like I shouldn't be doing this as a topic.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how I could tweak the question a bit to make it easier for me???
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lostmyhead_)
My EPQ question is "To what extent do translations of classical literature offer an inaccurate portrayal of the original work?", something I thought was quite interesting as I enjoy the literature side of classics. However, I feel like I've really limited myself because I can't analyse all the ancient languages and I can't read the original texts so I feel like I shouldn't be doing this as a topic.
Has anyone got any suggestions on how I could tweak the question a bit to make it easier for me???
Unless you understand the original versions and the various translations.
The differences between the two, then you cant speak with any surety and so I agree with you. id find something else.

Talk to your teacher.

Which degree are you applyng for?
lostmyhead_
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Unless you understand the original versions and the various translations.
The differences between the two, then you cant speak with any surety and so I agree with you. id find something else.

Talk to your teacher.

Which degree are you applyng for?

Classics
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Classics
Do a bit of research and see how many papers have been written on difference in translations. Were differences n translations such a big deal?

I can only think of things like translations of the bible? which had real significance.

One of the reasons to do initial research is to explore a number of possible and see which one is the most promising?
lostmyhead_
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Do a bit of research and see how many papers have been written on difference in translations. Were differences n translations such a big deal?

I can only think of things like translations of the bible? which had real significance.

One of the reasons to do initial research is to explore a number of possible and see which one is the most promising?
Yeah my initial research spread over a few ancient languages and I came across loads of things about the bible but because it wasnt related to classics i was advised not to do that and only focus on Latin and Greek. I think I’m just going to talk to my teacher about it to change it. Thankyou for your help!!!
999tigger
Report 3 years ago
Yeah my initial research spread over a few ancient languages and I came across loads of things about the bible but because it wasnt related to classics i was advised not to do that and only focus on Latin and Greek. I think I’m just going to talk to my teacher about it to change it. Thankyou for your help!!!
I was just giving it as a parallel where it caused wars.

I cant think translations of classical Texts had the same.

Post again if you choose some new titles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.56%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (25)
11.57%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.33%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.56%
I think it's an unfair expectation (59)
27.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.39%

Watched Threads