Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Withdrawn from uni, regretting poor commitment. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started uni last year, however I failed the year because I didn't complete my modules. I had the chance to resit but I have 6 children and I did not have time to resit 4 assignments within 4 weeks during my children's 6 week holidays.
    Thankfully I had the opportunity to restart year 1 (2 months ago) but I have missed the last 4 weeks of lectures due to poor commitments which has resulted in me being withdrawn from the course. I am gutted but at this moment in time it's for the best (personal reasons). I really do miss it, the course has changed me for the better but my mental health and family life needs attention.

Am I able to start a new university course in the future with the help of student finance or have I ruined my chances?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesomemummy)
    I started uni last year, however I failed the year because I didn't complete my modules. I had the chance to resit but I have 6 children and I did not have time to resit 4 assignments within 4 weeks during my children's 6 week holidays.
    Thankfully I had the opportunity to restart year 1 (2 months ago) but I have missed the last 4 weeks of lectures due to poor commitments which has resulted in me being withdrawn from the course. I am gutted but at this moment in time it's for the best (personal reasons). I really do miss it, the course has changed me for the better but my mental health and family life needs attention.

Am I able to start a new university course in the future with the help of student finance or have I ruined my chances?
    you generally only get the one gift year, you could only get that back by applying for compelling personal reasons and you'll need evidence like some from your doctor for that.

ReputationRep:
    you're an "awesome mummy", you don't need a degree, just keep on being an "awesome" parent

ReputationRep:
    Just because I'm a parent doesn't mean I shouldn't get a degree lol. When my children are older ill have nothing to do 😂

ReputationRep:
    Just because I'm a parent doesn't mean I shouldn't get a degree lol. When my children are older ill have nothing to do 😂
    Maybe you can consider returning to study when your youngest child is old enough to not require 24/7 care. There's also the financial considerations for rearing six children - child benefit isn't enough. You could apply for jobs such as teaching assistant where experience working with children (even if they're your own) is valued.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:

Depending on your reasons for failing and being withdrawn, you may be able to apply for extra funding from student finance. You would need to show that you had compelling personal reasons that forced you to quit - this is things like illness, bereavement etc. You would need to be able to provide proof in the form of medical evidence etc.

So if you've visited a GP or counsellor for your mental health, you may be able to use this as your reason. You can't just use the fact that you had 6 children, as you knew you had 6 children before the course (unless you fell pregnant unexpectedly, which you might then be able to use as a reason).

But if you don't have any extenuating circumstance, you're going to be lacking a year of finance. You may be able to complete a year part time and transfer back to full time study after that, or you could look at completing the whole degree part time. In your situation, part time might be better as it may be easier to fit around your other commitments. You could also look at distance learning with the Open University.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.