Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What the new 9-1 grade boundaries may look like Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so we just had two of new 9-1 specification exams taken this year and with the grade boundaries being at an astonishingly low level compared to previous year but with the same percentage of students achieving the new grade 9 as said before the
    examinations (3%).

With this in mind, I think it's relatively safe to assume that the new 9-1 subjects taken for the first time this year should follow a similar pattern however we shouldn't expect it to be applied to the 9-1 maths and english as it's already taken place once and a good amount of students will have access to some revision materials unlike the previous students.

What does everyone think about it?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a bit scary considering that because you're actually ranked, you could be pushed down grades even if you get a high score, however I think I overestimate the rest of the country a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I agree as so many teachers are unwlling to give students a level 9 as they dont know what it looks like. I know that in my year 10 mocks teachers in my school were saying that they won't give people a 9 unless they got around 98% but now they found out that in maths 80% was considered a 9 last year they have become more lenient in their grade boundaries which is amazing for us as I truly believed up to year 11 that a 9 would be impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownguytorule)
    Ok so we just had two of new 9-1 specification exams taken this year and with the grade boundaries being at an astonishingly low level compared to previous year but with the same percentage of students achieving the new grade 9 as said before the
    examinations (3%).

With this in mind, I think it's relatively safe to assume that the new 9-1 subjects taken for the first time this year should follow a similar pattern however we shouldn't expect it to be applied to the 9-1 maths and english as it's already taken place once and a good amount of students will have access to some revision materials unlike the previous students.

I did the 9-1 maths and english last year, and it wasn`t that difficult. Believe me, if you put the minimum amount of work and concentartion into your study you will succeed. I came in year 10 in UK and I still got a grade 6 in maths, and with the new 9-1 system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownguytorule)
    examinations (3%).

Everyone fixates over grade boundaries, they mean absolutely nothing. They're raised or lowered depending on the entire country's performance compared to the previous year, so if you write a grade 9 worthy piece of work that includes everything in the grade 9 descriptors you'll get a grade 9 anyway, no matter what the boundary is.

As they're adjusted to make the marking consistent compared to previous years a figure means nothing at all. If next year you get the amount of marks needed this year to get a 9 but you get an 8, you produced a grade 8 piece of work when taken into the context of how everyone else did and how many people performed well over this year's grade 9 boundary next year, so the boundaries mean nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bogdan2000)
    I did the 9-1 maths and english last year, and it wasn`t that difficult. Believe me, if you put the minimum amount of work and concentartion into your study you will succeed. I came in year 10 in UK and I still got a grade 6 in maths, and with the new 9-1 system.
    That's pretty impressive dude

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.