Am I going to be limited by doing a BTEC extended diploma instead of a-levels? Watch

Danse
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I know that they are equivalent to each other but are they looked down on more than a-levels in the eyes of employers and universities?
University of Bradford
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danse)
I know that they are equivalent to each other but are they looked down on more than a-levels in the eyes of employers and universities?
Hello

With regards to universities, it can depend on the university and the course you wish to study.

For example, if you wanted to study BSc Optometry with us, you would need AAB in A-levels but you would need DDD + B (A-level) in the BTEC Ext. Diploma.

Joe
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
idk maybe because they're all coursework and no exams , so people automatically assume they're piss easy , hence look down on them
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danse)
They are intended to be equivalent but aren't really in reality. Not all universities will accept them as equivalent, but it depends on the course. For example BTEC IT/CS in conjunction with A-level maths is considered sufficient for many CS courses. (including Oxford)
OwlOfFire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BTEC is looked at as lower and will not grant access to many courses at university. If your aim is to go onto university I would advise A levels as they are accepted by every university so would not limit your choices. If you just want to go straight into employment then a BTEC is acceptable.
gavinlowe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _gcx)
They are intended to be equivalent but aren't really in reality. Not all universities will accept them as equivalent, but it depends on the course. For example BTEC IT/CS in conjunction with A-level maths is considered sufficient for many CS courses. (including Oxford)
It's true that, in principle, we will accept the BTEC together with A* in Maths A Level. However, our impression is that A Levels provide far better preparation for study at a top university than the BTEC, and we would recommend taking A Levels for that reason. I believe that we've never yet given an offer to a candidate doing a BTEC, because none did well enough on the MAT and interviews. But maybe things will be different in future.

Gavin
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Danse)
It depends.
A levels used to be the gold standard and they are still accepted everywhere. Theres still a potential hierarchy with A levels.

BTEC are accepted in c75% of unis and courses. Courses where not accepted are things like Medicine and Engineering (make you do foundation).

You need to do some research and see what the entrance requirements are for the courses you wish to apply for at the unis you wish to attend. If you are applying to less competitive rather than elite unis, then you should be fine.

Good BTEC is better than poor A levels.
The fact you are already doing btec means its a bit late to change , so imo focus on getting good grades DDM up to D*D*D* and you should find plenty fo courses you can apply for at good unis. If you work hard it neednt limit you, although a small number of courses and unis may be harder to get into. make the best of it and work hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (17)
7.17%
They might tell the bully (25)
10.55%
I don't think they'd understand (40)
16.88%
It might lead to more bullying (84)
35.44%
There's nothing they could do (71)
29.96%

Watched Threads

Latest