Turn on thread page Beta

Parents bug me so much to revise that I don't! watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had revised for my gcses.woulda got even more A*s.

I would suggest u tell ur parents urself in a 1 to 1(or 1 to 2) chat.Stuff like the brain can only take in a certain amount of information before it needs a break.for best effect say that 'I am revising well and if I revise too much my grades will drop due to information overload,you wouldnt want that would you mom?(ofc she wont its rhetorical quexion).'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student0950)
    I'm in year 11 and all the exam pressure is starting to build up. I have mock exams in three weeks and I've gradually started revision since the start of the year.

The issue is, is that my parents don't see me stress (I do I just handle it well) and don't see my school work typically, so automatically believe that I am not taking my GCSE's seriously and that I'm not revising.

Because of this, if I am doing anything but clear revision after school, I'll get constantly bugged to revise. So much so, that it makes me angry and demotivated to revise at all. I'm pretty sure that an intellectual 16 year old can manage his/her own time.

As well as this, my Mum has cancelled plans in the next three weeks up to the mocks because I "must be revising" but I don't think she realises that doesn't mean 24/7! I have friends who get a nice balance of maybe 6 hours revision on a Saturday and then go out for the evening with friends.

I am a top achieving student and head boy at my school. My time is already in demand as it is and I've done exceptionally well in past mock exams (if I do say so myself) in Year 9 and 10.

I just want them to leave me alone! lol

Let me know how your parents approach revision or whether this is normal?!
    Just tell them you are revising and show them some of your revision notes. Also it is pretty normal parents nagging you to do revision they just want you to do well but sometimes it gets annoying. When I had my gcses my parents kept telling me to revise but I just showed them my revision times table and they accepted it as it had a good balance between breaks and revision time.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me.
    I was told I couldn’t go on my laptop or even have a break as my mum was constantly nagging me to revise, even though I had a technique that was to revise for 20 or 40 minutes and have a break that was half the time. Mum got annoyed at this, so one time she said “You’ve had too much of a break.” But I had only had about 2 minutes...
    So it happens to everyone
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yip9090)
    Just tell them you are revising and show them some of your revision notes. Also it is pretty normal parents nagging you to do revision they just want you to do well but sometimes it gets annoying. When I had my gcses my parents kept telling me to revise but I just showed them my revision times table and they accepted it as it had a good balance between breaks and revision time.
    Thanks, I'll give this a go.

ReputationRep:
    Try talking to them, ask them to leave you alone because it stresses you out, you could also make a revision timetable and put it on your wall or somewhere they can see it and see you are working. hopefully when you get your mock results they can see how much you have been working!

ReputationRep:
    I understand both points of view.

Your parents understand how important the revision is, it is a lot harder later on in life to redo exams so best to get good grades first time.

For you, you need to show them your revision time table and the daily tasks you have done, and yes off time is vital. However it is only 3 weeks, so you need to get your priorities right. Set yourself higher standards and goals, and make it a competition against yourself. It is vital you get good grades now, so you don't have to do resits etc. If your friends can't understand that then you should give them a break anyway.

The work load for GCSEs is light compared with University, and there no one will nag you to get the work done. Neither will you get pushed to do stuff when in college, you have to be self motivating.

Depending on how many subjects your taking 6 hours isn't that much a night - I did that and failed most of mine, so I know from experience, I'm retaking the important ones in adult hood and it's a LOT harder.

How about setting yourself weekly goals at the start of the week, and only if you've met and surpassed them do you get time off with friends. Sports would be a better option, as it not only relaxes you but also helps with the stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purdy7)
    I understand both points of view.

Your parents understand how important the revision is, it is a lot harder later on in life to redo exams so best to get good grades first time.

For you, you need to show them your revision time table and the daily tasks you have done, and yes off time is vital. However it is only 3 weeks, so you need to get your priorities right. Set yourself higher standards and goals, and make it a competition against yourself. It is vital you get good grades now, so you don't have to do resits etc. If your friends can't understand that then you should give them a break anyway.

The work load for GCSEs is light compared with University, and there no one will nag you to get the work done. Neither will you get pushed to do stuff when in college, you have to be self motivating.

Depending on how many subjects your taking 6 hours isn't that much a night - I did that and failed most of mine, so I know from experience, I'm retaking the important ones in adult hood and it's a LOT harder.

How about setting yourself weekly goals at the start of the week, and only if you've met and surpassed them do you get time off with friends. Sports would be a better option, as it not only relaxes you but also helps with the stress.
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying apart from 6 hours a night not being much.

If I got 6 hours in every night, I would be working from the time I got home from school to 10:15pm, not including any breaks or evening meal.

We can't judge the amount of revision we've done by the time we spent on it, if all we do in that time is read a revision guide.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.