The Student Room Group

Cambridge History Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Out of interest, do you know many people from your lectures?
Reply 41
--
OP
We have lectures?!
Reply 42
Hang on, let me change my question -- how many lectures do you go to a week?
Reply 43
--
OP
Erm, none, really. I went to about 5/8ths of the HAP ones... Have made about 5-6 other lectures (and none in the last 5 weeks, and half the other ones I only went to because my DoS was taking them...).
Reply 44
Are you in Peterhouse, 3232? My memory's awful.

I alternate between thinking I went to too many lectures last term and not enough.
Reply 45
--
OP
Nah, Fitz. (You'll be able to work out who I am now, in about 30 seconds if you've got facebook up :p:)
Reply 46
I'm not sure if I know you, in that case. The only historian I know in Fitz is Faith; I met her in one of my lectures.
Reply 47
--
OP
No, you've not met me. I'm just listed on one of the groups you're on, or used to be on. I know Faith though, she's lovely. :smile:
Jacobite
The political Right has, at least in recent times, been dominated by individualism. Counterfactual history tends to demonstrate (or exaggerate) the influence of individuals and accidents on events, as opposed to social and economic forces. There may perhaps be a connection here. Also, the Right tends to be sceptical about ambitious projects of reform; a view of history that emphasises its uncertainty and accidental nature may complement this pragmatism.

You do have a point - although I have a feeling that Niall Ferguson, even though he wouldn't admit it, is a bit of a determinist himself. I seem to remember that he did a counterfactual about Vietnam which basically said that if the USA had "stayed the course" in Vietnam, capitalism would have won the day in the end... or something along those lines.
Reply 49
I really have no idea why I received negative rep. for this post.

I am really struggling to finish my essay today.
Reply 50
--
OP
Hehe, maybe someone doesn't like her? And anyone that associates with her? I've repped you as well, should cancel it out.
Reply 51
Thanks. :smile:

I think I need to take a break from my computer now. I've been trying to do my essay for the last two hours. I started off positively but I've hit a brick wall again. I absolutely hate this essay. At the moment, it's about 75% finished. The rest of what I want to say is summarised in note form but I just can't seem to convert it to prose and maintain a decent argument. Rubbish. I am feeling disheartened.
My dissertation is looming over my shoulder at the moment. I need to get a bit done on it in a second. Damn you all for giving me another thread to procrastinate on! :p:

In terms of formals, Clare is probably about £6 or £7 for non-Clare students, so it's pretty much the normal average cost.
Reply 53
Lottie
Thanks. :smile:

I think I need to take a break from my computer now. I've been trying to do my essay for the last two hours. I started off positively but I've hit a brick wall again. I absolutely hate this essay. At the moment, it's about 75% finished. The rest of what I want to say is summarised in note form but I just can't seem to convert it to prose and maintain a decent argument. Rubbish. I am feeling disheartened.

Cheer up! =D

Surprisingly I don't think I really met many new people in lectures at all. I knew you and Andrew off the facebook group, and I have 3232 on facebook, I assume also from the same place lol. I knew Vik from facebook too, but everybody seems to know him lol.
Reply 54
--
OP
I think I may have scared some people off. On the first day, after waking up an hour late with an horrendous hangover and only just making it to the Sidgwick site five minutes before the induction ended, a couple of people came up and introduced themselves after remembering my photo from FB (I think it was the other Charlotte?) and in my completely hungover state, the best I could muster was 'Eh? Oh.....oh yeah....hi..... *groan* *stumble away*'.

Probably not the best way to make friends and influence people. :p:
Reply 55
tony_ron
Yep sounds cooool. Jolly spiffing and all that. We just gotta make sure it's at a college that does cheap formals!

Vikram is a guy of like Indian origin I think, and he's doing Utopian Writing I think. He seems to be one of those strange people where loads of people seem to randomly know him. Must be a character or something lol.

Vik is indeed doing Utopian writing, he's at Sidney and, as it happens, my next door neighbour!

Edit: This thread is somewhat confusing, I'm sure I've met some of you buy I'm not totally sure! Lottie, are you at St. Cat's?
Reply 56
Chiron
Vik is indeed doing Utopian writing, he's at Sidney and, as it happens, my next door neighbour!

Edit: This thread is somewhat confusing, I'm sure I've met some of you buy I'm not totally sure! Lottie, are you at St. Cat's?

James you're leaving important adjectives out of you're description of me...."my amaaaazing next door neighbour" is much more accurate. Look foward to seeing u wen we get back...get a brew on. I've been drinking lapsang souchong during the hols actually....ur a trend setter!

Im already regretting doing Utopian writing! Did you guys get set any written work for T & S? I've got write a summary of Thomas More's Utopia :frown:
Reply 57
Chiron

I am in Catz! Do I know you?
Reply 58
--
OP
Haha, tony watches loose women...
Reply 59
I like Loose Women... Still don't believe Carol McGiffin and Chris Evans were married though.

Also, I think I've worked out who you are, Chiron. You're friends with Andrew, Emma, Rebecca, etc. too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending