Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've driven 60 miles in quite busy, small roads. I've averaged about 6 mph - a lot of stopping and starting, as you can imagine. I've yet to take the car on roads that are above 30MPH speed limit.

Is this normal?

I'm driving a 1.2 Polo, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be more concerned about taking 10 hours to drive 60 miles than your fuel consumption.

ReputationRep:
    make sure you don't have a fuel leak....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    make sure you don't have a fuel leak....
    To be honest, I have smelt petrol once or twice not long before turning on the ignition. I have checked though and the lid seems secure. Is there anything else I can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    To be honest, I have smelt petrol once or twice not long before turning on the ignition. I have checked though and the lid seems secure. Is there anything else I can do?
    put some clean newspaper under the fuel tank & fuel line and see if any fuel drips onto it.

ReputationRep:
    Check your tyre pressures. I was wondering why my MPG was so bad lately until I realised the tyre pressures dropped to 30PSI to my surprise.

Yes it's normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Check your tyre pressures. I was wondering why my MPG was so bad lately until I realised the tyre pressures dropped to 30PSI to my surprise.
    The car is literally 2 weeks old. But I'll check, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    The car is literally 2 weeks old. But I'll check, thanks.
    So it's brand new and not just "new to you"?

I'd be suspicious of some kind of fault if that's the case. New cars surprisingly often come with problems from the factory - but the good thing is the dealership will nearly always sort things out without too much fuss.

Before you complain to the dealer though, try taking the car out on some different roads. Sit at 55mph in lane 1 of a motorway or dual carriageway for a while and see what kind of mileage you're getting and then compare with the "extra urban" figures quoted by the manufacturer. If it's way out then there could be an underlying fault.

ReputationRep:
    Returning 20mpg after averaging 6mph sounds about right tbh. Also if it's a brand new car then the economy won't pick up until you've put a good couple of thousand miles on the engine. Economy is also worse in bad weather compared to warm, bright weather (lights on, wipers on, fan on, engine takes longer to warm up, etc).

As the other poster has said, see what economy you get when you're doing 55-60mph on a dual carriageway. I expect you'll see more normal economy figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    I've driven 60 miles in quite busy, small roads. I've averaged about 6 mph - a lot of stopping and starting, as you can imagine. I've yet to take the car on roads that are above 30MPH speed limit.

Is this normal?

I'm driving a 1.2 Polo, by the way.
    Doesn't sound too abnormal, especially if you had energy-intensive things like climate control on. City driving uses a lot of fuel, especially if you're averaging 6mph. That's 10 hours during which the engine has to power all the car's systems. Since you haven't gone past 30, you probably haven't gone past 3rd (possibly 4th) gear, so over those 60 miles, the engine will have done more revolutions than if you were on the motorway, and that's before you allow for idling at traffic lights and junctions. Not to mention that stopping and starting uses extra fuel as you have to get the car moving, then waste the energy when you brake.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.