The Student Room Group

Taking a month or 5 weeks off in August

Hi,

I am unemployed at the moment however a close family of mine is going to get married abroad in August and I have to be there.

The thing is, if I go I want to go for as long as possible. Do most companies allow you to take all of your holidays in August? My last resort is while I am at it is to apply for a temporary job
Reply 1
You usually get an annual quota of holidays (around 25 days) and most of the time you can spend these holidays however you want.
Original post by wa5ted
Hi,

I am unemployed at the moment however a close family of mine is going to get married abroad in August and I have to be there.

The thing is, if I go I want to go for as long as possible. Do most companies allow you to take all of your holidays in August? My last resort is while I am at it is to apply for a temporary job

Most companies offer 25-28 days of holiday but most offer the maximum 2 weeks off and they have to be approved by your manager. You can't just have days off just like that whenever you want to. There are procedures to make systems fair.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Boreism
Most companies have 25-28 days of holiday however the maximum you can have is 2 weeks and they have to be approved by your manager. You can't just have days off just like that whenever you want to. There are procedures to make systems fair.

Really? That sucks. I hardly take holidays unless it is for major events like weddings or going abroad. Looks like I'm going to have to find a fixed-term contract job...
Original post by wa5ted
Really? That sucks. I hardly take holidays unless it is for major events like weddings or going abroad. Looks like I'm going to have to find a fixed-term contract job...

Well you can't approve everyone's holidays otherwise no one will be in to help the business!
That is one of the reasons why there are procedures.

You have to think if it was your own business - will you let literally everyone to have a holiday all at once with no-one in the office?

I'm guessing you've never worked before?
(edited 6 years ago)
As others have said you will get 5-6 weeks holiday and the company must approve when you take it. Typically they have policies like no more than 2 weeks at a time and no more than X staff on leave on any given day.

However - many companies will be flexible if this is a 'once in a lifetime' type thing. A friend was given 2 months off work to go travelling (obv she wasn't paid but they kept her job open) for a friend's wedding in Australia. But you can't guarantee it.

Another point is that lots of companies will honour existing, booked holidays even if they make it difficult for the company. So if the holiday was booked before you took the job they may let you take it. However they may also turn you down for the job if it's too big of a problem.
Time off in August is usually highly sought after, you might find it difficult to get the entire month off.
Reply 7
Original post by Boreism
Well you can't approve everyone's holidays otherwise no one will be in to help the business!
That is one of the reasons why there are procedures.

You have to think if it was your own business - will you let literally everyone to have a holiday all at once with no-one in the office?

I'm guessing you've never worked before?

Ok mate, I get the point - there is no need for comments like "I'm guessing you've never worked before". As a matter of fact, I have and I have used my holidays prior to my end date - yes when I was leaving a job.
Original post by wa5ted
Ok mate, I get the ****ing point - there is no need for comments like "I'm guessing you've never worked before". Jheeze, pisses me off when smart ****ers like you start saying **** like "Oh I guess you haven't done X before" - so ****ing what! As a matter of fact, I have and I have used my holidays prior to my end date - yes when I was leaving a job.

Right you needed some advice so don't be so rude.

I didn't have to help you but lucky for you I'm a soft girl and I like to help people.

So if you need help next time don't throw it back into people's faces when they give you advice.
Reply 9
Original post by moonkatt
Time off in August is usually highly sought after, you might find it difficult to get the entire month off.

Looks like I'm going to have to get a fixed-term contract job
Reply 10
Original post by Boreism
Right you needed some advice so don't be so rude.

I didn't have to help you but lucky for you I'm a soft girl and I like to help people.

So if you need help next time don't throw it back into people's faces when they give you advice.

Ok, so next time don't make comments like "oh I guess you have never worked before then". Rude? Mate I think you were being rude first, I didn't like the way you just jumped to the conclusion that I may have never worked before...
Original post by wa5ted
Ok, so next time don't make comments like "oh I guess you have never worked before then". Rude? Mate I think you were being rude first, I didn't like the way you just jumped to the conclusion that I may have never worked before...

It was just a question - I didn't mean to say it like in a mean way so I do apologise.
People just get too offensive easily these days.
Original post by wa5ted
Hi,

It entirely depends on the job, and how much notice you give them.

If you get them notice 6 months in advance, they may approve all your holiday time off in one go. Equally they may not.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Boreism
It was just a question - I didn't mean to say it like in a mean way so I do apologise.
People just get too offensive easily these days.

Ok that's fine. No it's just the way you phrased that whole post that got me but whatever its fine. Guess I need to literally book all the holiday off as soon as I get a job.
Original post by wa5ted
Ok that's fine. No it's just the way you phrased that whole post that got me but whatever its fine. Guess I need to literally book all the holiday off as soon as I get a job.

Make sure you tell them you have booked your holiday at the interview.
However I can almost guarantee you that they will most likely ask that question in an interview anyway as part of the 'availability' questions.
#Triggered
Reply 16
Original post by Boreism
Make sure you tell them you have booked your holiday at the interview.
However I can almost guarantee you that they will most likely ask that question in an interview anyway as part of the 'availability' questions.

Yeah they never asked me that at my recent interviews but I'm guessing if offered a job I should perhaps point it out to them. I don't even mind not being paid for those holidays
Original post by wa5ted
Yeah they never asked me that at my recent interviews but I'm guessing if offered a job I should perhaps point it out to them. I don't even mind not being paid for those holidays

That sounds fair. People don't think like that to cater for the employer these days.
Reply 18
The other problem you'll have is that you want holiday in August, which is when many employees will want holiday as that's school holidays. The employer will most likely grant holidays to the longer term employees, rather than a new person.

So can you adjust the holiday dates so they overlap as little as possible? Obviously you can't change the date of the wedding, but you could go out a few days before if it's at the end of August, and then holiday for more of September - or stretch it the other way if it's at the start of the month. If it's right in the middle it's a bit awkward, but you could still aim to take up as little of the coveted holiday dates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending