Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

National 5 Help Meee!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am currently studying 6 National 5 subjects and I really want to get all A's in all of my subjects, My subjects are:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Computing Science
    Maths
    English

In my recent test results for biology chemistry and physics, was very poor, though I have not failed The lowest I have got was a C, this, however, is not what I want to achieve I really really want All A's, Can someone just give me study tips and tell me how to study properly with an effective method for each of my subjects and maybe even help me make a study plan, hopefully its not too late to make my grades higher than what they are right now!!. Thanks so much in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yamaan)
    Hello, I am currently studying 6 National 5 subjects and I really want to get all A's in all of my subjects, My subjects are:

Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Computing Science
    Maths
    English

In my recent test results for biology chemistry and physics, was very poor, though I have not failed The lowest I have got was a C, this, however, is not what I want to achieve I really really want All A's, Can someone just give me study tips and tell me how to study properly with an effective method for each of my subjects and maybe even help me make a study plan, hopefully its not too late to make my grades higher than what they are right now!!. Thanks so much in advance!!
    I'm not too great at sciences nor maths, however I am projecting a high A in English so perhaps I could help with that.

Know ALL your texts really well. AND background info for them as well. It's worth knowing little facts that can add detail and pick up marks. For example, "MacCaig explores a theme of religion in his poem 'Assisi' which is ironic considering the fact that he himself was an atheist." etc. If You'll be doing textual analysis on poetry make sure you're able to link the poems together and have 1-2 quotes per poem per theme memorised for the potential 8-marker. Whatever you'll be doing your critical essay on, make sure you have key quotations memorised, and it's worth doing as many practice essays on different topics, if you're lucky, the same one might pop up in your exam.

Try to master quote-explaining and make sure that you can rephrase really well, as this is where the bulk of marks are made up of in English.

It's also important to make sure that your timing is down. You could know the answers to ALL the questions, however if you don't have the time to write them down, you simply won't get the marks for them.

Finally, put your ALL into your assignment/portfolio. The better you do here, the less stress is put on your final exam. If you get 25/30 in your English portfolio, you only have to gain 45/70 marks in your actual exam to achieve an A (in theory anyway). However, if you get a really low score, such as 10/30, you'll have to get 60/70 in the actual exam. This principle works for ALL subjects.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Okay study as early as you can is the best we did our NAT 5/Higher Prelims in January a week after we are back from Christmas If you are the same I start to study lightly after New Years going over notes and past papers. But when it comes to exams this year i'm starting to revise for exams around start of March going to supported study but in Easter start going through past paper after past paper http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm use this to sit the past exam papers and if you finish these do the specimen papers and if you finish that move onto standard grade (In math I went as far back to the 2009 Standard grade papers) but ask your teacher what things to miss out in standard grade as the course has changed. Also with computing science the exam is pish easy just do well in your course work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmary02)
    I'm not too great at sciences nor maths, however I am projecting a high A in English so perhaps I could help with that.

Know ALL your texts really well. AND background info for them as well. It's worth knowing little facts that can add detail and pick up marks. For example, "MacCaig explores a theme of religion in his poem 'Assisi' which is ironic considering the fact that he himself was an atheist." etc. If You'll be doing textual analysis on poetry make sure you're able to link the poems together and have 1-2 quotes per poem per theme memorised for the potential 8-marker. Whatever you'll be doing your critical essay on, make sure you have key quotations memorised, and it's worth doing as many practice essays on different topics, if you're lucky, the same one might pop up in your exam.

Try to master quote-explaining and make sure that you can rephrase really well, as this is where the bulk of marks are made up of in English.

It's also important to make sure that your timing is down. You could know the answers to ALL the questions, however if you don't have the time to write them down, you simply won't get the marks for them.

Finally, put your ALL into your assignment/portfolio. The better you do here, the less stress is put on your final exam. If you get 25/30 in your English portfolio, you only have to gain 45/70 marks in your actual exam to achieve an A (in theory anyway). However, if you get a really low score, such as 10/30, you'll have to get 60/70 in the actual exam. This principle works for ALL subjects.

Good Luck!
    Hi there, In English I find it really hard to remember quotes from the book that we are reading in class whats the best ways to remember this, and how do you answer the 8 mark questions properly?, Again thanks soo much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH215)
    Okay study as early as you can is the best we did our NAT 5/Higher Prelims in January a week after we are back from Christmas If you are the same I start to study lightly after New Years going over notes and past papers. But when it comes to exams this year i'm starting to revise for exams around start of March going to supported study but in Easter start going through past paper after past paper http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm use this to sit the past exam papers and if you finish these do the specimen papers and if you finish that move onto standard grade (In math I went as far back to the 2009 Standard grade papers) but ask your teacher what things to miss out in standard grade as the course has changed. Also with computing science the exam is pish easy just do well in your course work.
    Hi there, my prelims are in 4 weeks, my school does the prelims before the Christmas holidays, whats the best way to study for the prelims? Are the prelims harder than the actual exam?, Whats a good method to study? thank you in advance!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, my prelims are in 4 weeks, my school does the prelims before the Christmas holidays, whats the best way to study for the prelims? Are the prelims harder than the actual exam?, Whats a good method to study? thank you in advance!!
    Use past papers and ask for question booklets off of your teacher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AH215)
    Use past papers and ask for question booklets off of your teacher
    Hiya, I have asked my teachers for booklets and past papers but they said they have given me everything, what ca I do now?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, In English I find it really hard to remember quotes from the book that we are reading in class whats the best ways to remember this, and how do you answer the 8 mark questions properly?, Again thanks soo much!!
    I find that by writing the quote on one side of a flashcard and then a rephrased version on it on the other is useful. Really, theres no set method to it, you just need to practice writing them from memory again and again.

The 8 mark isn't too tricky. You can find a HEAP of resources online, I'd really recommend doing past papers from the SQA website.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.