Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    is it because strong acids fully dissociate so then for weak acids we have to use Ka only

So can Ka also be used for strong acids or am I wasting my time?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah strong acids full dissociate therefore there is no equilibrium. Ka is just a type of equilibrium constant with a few assumptions involved in calculation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Yeah strong acids full dissociate therefore there is no equilibrium. Ka is just a type of equilibrium constant with a few assumptions involved in calculation.
    Thank you

just another point to clarify with you:

strong and weak acids, when dissolved in water, have the backwards and forwards sign.

Is it right in me saying that :

weak acids have the backwards and forwards sign BUT strong acids fully dissociate so we can kinda think of them being a one way reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    Thank you

just another point to clarify with you:

strong and weak acids, when dissolved in water, have the backwards and forwards sign.

Is it right in me saying that :

weak acids have the backwards and forwards sign BUT strong acids fully dissociate so we can kinda think of them being a one way reaction
    Yeah strong acids fully dissociate so you shouldn't use the equilibrium sign in most scenarios.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank Peters)
    is it because strong acids fully dissociate so then for weak acids we have to use Ka only

So can Ka also be used for strong acids or am I wasting my time?
    In the case of strong acids, we use Kw as all [H+] ions from the acid is turned into product. As weak acids do not fully dissociate this means we can no longer use this hence Ka was made kinda as a substitution of this for weak acids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.H.Rahman)
    In the case of strong acids, we use Kw as all [H+] ions from the acid is turned into product. As weak acids do not fully dissociate this means we can no longer use this hence Ka was made kinda as a substitution of this for weak acids.
    Sorry, that's not correct

Kw can be used for solutions of strong acids, or weak acids or mixtures of acids or for when no acid present. (It can be used for solutions of bases too, again strong or weak).
    It is unrelated to Ka.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutorsChemistry)
    Sorry, that's not correct

Kw can be used for solutions of strong acids, or weak acids or mixtures of acids or for when no acid present. (It can be used for solutions of bases too, again strong or weak).
    It is unrelated to Ka.
    Ah ok. Thanks for letting me know!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.