Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm in year 13 studying Computer Science, Geography and Economics. My predictions are ABC but the course says it requires ABB. Would the university still give me an offer or am I in way over my head?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by therealelombe)
    Hey I'm in year 13 studying Computer Science, Geography and Economics. My predictions are ABC but the course says it requires ABB. Would the university still give me an offer or am I in way over my head?
    You can try as they could still offer you ABB and then you have to improve. You have 5 chances, so using a few on unis that want one grade higher is ok.

Have you checked what their maths requirement?

You can also try this but take it with a pinch of salt.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'd agree with the advice already given.

Just to add to it, because you are very close to the entry requirements I would still go ahead and apply. You have four other choices so if Reading didn't give you an offer you wouldn't be without options!

I can't say for sure whether they would give you an offer but it's definitely worth a shot! It depends on how many other people apply and whether the course doesn't have many places.

Good luck!
    Any further questions, feel free to ask!

Sophie
    Final year Philosophy student

ReputationRep:

I say go for it. My mum is an A-Level teacher, and she has seen in the last five years or so that universities have been allowing more and more students who didn't quite make the grades into their 1st choice university, especially since the government lifted the cap on the number of students universities could accept each year. From my own experience, I also know of very many people who didn't get their grades (some of them by quite a long way) and their first choice still let them in, at Reading uni and at others. Of course, do not apply this to Oxbridge and possibly Durham too.

That being said, do not rely on that. A lot of changes are happening to the A level and GCSE system and it is unclear how the universities will react to these consequences at the moment.

So, I definitively recommend applying for Reading if you like the university and the course it offers. You are only one grade off in your predicted grades, and given that you have taken the time to write a post here, I am going to assume that you'd quite like to come here and would work hard to get as good a grades as possible.

Obviously I cannot predict what Reading would do in the summer, but I know that accepting people who missed out on the asking offer by one or two grades is something that is not uncommon.

Hope that helps!!!!

Annie x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnieKH)
    I say go for it. My mum is an A-Level teacher, and she has seen in the last five years or so that universities have been allowing more and more students who didn't quite make the grades into their 1st choice university, especially since the government lifted the cap on the number of students universities could accept each year. From my own experience, I also know of very many people who didn't get their grades (some of them by quite a long way) and their first choice still let them in, at Reading uni and at others. Of course, do not apply this to Oxbridge and possibly Durham too.

That being said, do not rely on that. A lot of changes are happening to the A level and GCSE system and it is unclear how the universities will react to these consequences at the moment.

So, I definitively recommend applying for Reading if you like the university and the course it offers. You are only one grade off in your predicted grades, and given that you have taken the time to write a post here, I am going to assume that you'd quite like to come here and would work hard to get as good a grades as possible.

Obviously I cannot predict what Reading would do in the summer, but I know that accepting people who missed out on the asking offer by one or two grades is something that is not uncommon.

Hope that helps!!!!

Annie x
    thanks for the information it was very helpful! and thanks to everyone else as well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.