Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m currently in year 12, doing Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies. However, religious studies is not a facilitating subject, can I still get it?

Also in my GCSE’s I didn’t manage to get the 5A’s due to my personal circumstances. I got 4 A’s and 6Bs. I know this limits me. Which universities could I possibly apply to that don’t have the 5A GCSE requirements?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    u can start with pre med

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aneesa 2000)
    Hi
    I’m currently in year 12, doing Biology, Chemistry and Religious Studies. However, religious studies is not a facilitating subject, can I still get it?

Also in my GCSE’s I didn’t manage to get the 5A’s due to my personal circumstances. I got 4 A’s and 6Bs. I know this limits me. Which universities could I possibly apply to that don’t have the 5A GCSE requirements?
    In terms of A level requirements, you need biology, chemistry and another A level at AAA to get in (some med schools want A*AA/A*A*A, but for now the majority still want AAA). RS is fine.

Your GCSEs are generally fine, but they're not likely to be your application's main strength. You should apply to med schools which place less emphasis on GCSE results when selecting interview candidates. There isn't a blanket minimum 5As requirement either.

You can find more info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wik...your_Strengths

ReputationRep:
    i am doing a level resittining in bio n chem unit 4 n 5...
    its much cheaper to stay n resit in my place then going to a medical unversity for pre_med. so if u can try sitting for maths. statistics was okay for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imala)
    u can start with pre med
    Sigh. The OP does not need to do "pre med".

ReputationRep:
    Best answer is to look up the courses yourself. Some medical schools do ask for/give preference to having your third A level be a facilitating subject, but not all. Also, universities can change their entry requirements from year to year, so what may be true this year may not be next year.

And as mentioned before, avoid the GCSE heavy universities (e.g. Cardiff, Liverpool (at least they were, don't know about now)) who allocate points using them pre-interview. There are options available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imala)
    u can start with pre med
    What’s pre med?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aneesa 2000)
    What’s pre med?
    something you do not need to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Best answer is to look up the courses yourself. Some medical schools do ask for/give preference to having your third A level be a facilitating subject, but not all. Also, universities can change their entry requirements from year to year, so what may be true this year may not be next year.

And as mentioned before, avoid the GCSE heavy universities (e.g. Cardiff, Liverpool (at least they were, don't know about now)) who allocate points using them pre-interview. There are options available.
    What unis ask for this or give preference for it? Never seen anything like that before other than cambridge liking a third science.

ReputationRep:
    Oh at least we need to do if we dont get 3 c in A
    level

ReputationRep:
    i mean in our country. its one year foundation course with subjects biology chem n etc.... to make you ready for mbbs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh787)
    What unis ask for this or give preference for it? Never seen anything like that before other than cambridge liking a third science.
    Edinburgh. Had a long conversation on another thread about this as they used to give preference to AAA w/o Biology compared to now where its preference to AAA with Biology. I have no proof for this, but for some reason I keep thinking UCL also had a preference last time for a non-science. But I could be very wrong.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...ok_final_1.pdf

Page 39

Tbf, most universities care about Chemistry, and sometimes Biology (*cough*around half*cough*).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Edinburgh. Had a long conversation on another thread about this as they used to give preference to AAA w/o Biology compared to now where its preference to AAA with Biology. I have no proof for this, but for some reason I keep thinking UCL also had a preference last time for a non-science. But I could be very wrong.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/fil...ok_final_1.pdf

Page 39

Tbf, most universities care about Chemistry, and sometimes Biology (*cough*around half*cough*).
    Yeah I think OP was asking about their third subject, though. As they have biology, they would be at no disadvantage if their third subject is not facilitating. I think UCL actually had on their website that preference is given for a contrasting third subject, so you're right about that. Idk where that's gone now, however, because I can't seem to find it.

ReputationRep:
    Your subjects are fine and it may even be advantageous to take a subject that you're more likely to do better in than a facilitating one with the reverse consequences. Play to your strengths, and apply to universities that don't place a heavy emphasis on GCSE grades but instead try to built up your work experience / UKCAT or BMAT score / personal statement.

As for the UCL discussion, I recall they said they have a slight preference for those taking a contrasting subject. However, I think they removed it from their website because they thought it encouraged people to take contrasting subjects when the preference was really minimal in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is confusion surrounding what a 'facilitating subject' actually is. It's just one that facilitates a lot of courses- in other words, a subject that is useful for many courses. However, you can see that whilst some subjects are facilitating for some courses, they are not for others. Physics, for example, would not be a facilitating subject for History or English Literature. At the same time, whilst geography is a facilitating subject in itself, there's absolutely no reason as to why an applicant would be given preference for choosing this over RS (which deals with ethics etc.) for medicine. Tbh unis don't care about your third subject as long as you have chemistry and biology (or at least chemistry and another science for some). Exception is Cambridge which prefers 3 sciences, which all happen to be facilitating subjects.
    I've taken your subjects and am planning to apply for medicine next year :-)
    Also check uni requirements for GCSEs- I'm sure you'll be fine for many. As someone has already said, avoid places like Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool etc. which like amazing GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niamh787)
    I think there is confusion surrounding what a 'facilitating subject' actually is. It's just one that facilitates a lot of courses- in other words, a subject that is useful for many courses. However, you can see that whilst some subjects are facilitating for some courses, they are not for others. Physics, for example, would not be a facilitating subject for History or English Literature. At the same time, whilst geography is a facilitating subject in itself, there's absolutely no reason as to why an applicant would be given preference for choosing this over RS (which deals with ethics etc.) for medicine. Tbh unis don't care about your third subject as long as you have chemistry and biology (or at least chemistry and another science for some). Exception is Cambridge which prefers 3 sciences, which all happen to be facilitating subjects.
    I've taken your subjects and am planning to apply for medicine next year :-)
    Also check uni requirements for GCSEs- I'm sure you'll be fine for many. As someone has already said, avoid places like Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool etc. which like amazing GCSEs
    love this post

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry, I was just thinking of a situation where though a university doesn't outright state a preference for a subject (e.g. you can apply to medicine in Edinburgh without Biology), by taking a closer look at information available, it turns out there actually is an advantage to taking a subject. It was just unfortunate I couldn't find a specific example in regards to OP's circumstances (though I guess UCL kinda is...)

TL;DR Do your research, as you may find stuff they didn't advertise openly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.