Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wish I hadn't done an ERASMUS year, how to be positive ? Watch

Announcements

For me it was optional and of course it seemed like a great way to increase my career prospects and to go on an adventure.

I was getting a little bored of things at uni in the UK and thought it would be exciting.

But the reality is it sucks.

My friends are all in the UK having a great time and I'm abroad with a lot less friends, and the friends I do have probably wouldn't be people I'd be friends with if I was in the uK

Sure it's an exciting place I'm in, whenever I tell people where I'm living they are dead impressed, but they've only ever been there on a holiday and it's totally different living there.

I don't need a year to see all the sites.

I know I shouldnt be so negative but it's two months in and all I can feel is that I've made the worst decision of my life.

Any advice on how to be more positive?

ReputationRep:
    see this as a temporary life change! don't get too bent up about what everyone is doing here! social media sucks for the fear of missing out, go out and get some sweet instagram pics and everything here will think you're having the time of your life too.. !

you say you have friends there, make the most of them, even if they're not you're usually, who cares if you never speak when you get back, they're valuable resources there for you to do things with!

are there any local clubs? sports? that you could join?

take it as time to focus on your studies? and practice your language skills?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.