Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I spend ages applying for different placements. Tweaking my CV and cover letter for each one and writing drool-worthy application answers yet everytime I go on my email I find a rejection from the employer's saying I don't fit the bill.

It's getting to the point where I'm losing hope and I'm getting pissed off with these employers. Why do they design such long applications if they're going to reject people so quick?
    They don't even give feedback as to why I got rejected or how I could improve on my application.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I had sent over 70 applications for my placement year before I got a job, you just need to keep trying. Most of it is just because something in your CV or answers didn't fit what they are looking for or you don't have enough experience. Have you had your CV checked yet? If not, then it's a good place to start.

ReputationRep:
    Right? I didn't know the process would be so brutal. Even after you go over your cv/cover letter, you have online assessments, telephone interviews, assessment centres and one-to-one interviews. Exhausting.

ReputationRep:
    Try contacting a graduate recruiter/HR person from the company through LinkedIn and ask them a couple of questions. What competencies are most sought after, what kind if person is the best fit for the company, what makes the organisation thrive in their industry et al. Then adjust your CV to the answers.

View the about me pages, graduate pages (Even if you're on a placement) as well as obviously the placement description role. Pick out what they are, who they want to be, how they want to get there, how you could be a potential fit in that equation and what kind of people they're looking for, then add that to the CV. If the about me says that they are in a fast-paced industry and the role says you need initiative, include those two competencies in your CV and think of examples to go along with them.

Also get your CV checked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.