Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you reckon it will take to pass a driving test? Obviously there’s the waiting.

But for a good learner with up to 4 hours of lessons a week, how many weeks or months can I be ready for the test?

Anytime before 2018 will be perfect?

Anyone passed quickly?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I started in June 2016, took my theory test in October and passed, took my practical test in December and failed and then I passed January 2017. It depends what you mean by good learner. It varies for everyone. You need to pass your theory test first. If you haven't started lessons yet then you won't get it all done before 2018. My instructor says on average 20 hours of lessons is needed, but I've heard of people needing over 40.

ReputationRep:
    I started in feb and passed in October , I reckon 6 months is a very realistic target. Maybe not by the end of this year , but certainly very early next year if you start now .

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the average 40 hr's, I'd say if your starting now even with 4hrs per week it would be a struggle to pass this side of 2018. I know some people supposedly manage on 20hrs I can't quite understand it however.

ReputationRep:
    I started in early February 2016 and passed first time in June 2016 with 2hr lessons once a week relatively consistently. I took my theory test just after Easter. Honestly, it will take as long as it takes, but if you haven't started lessons yet it's unlikely you'll pass this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    I started in June 2016, took my theory test in October and passed, took my practical test in December and failed and then I passed January 2017. It depends what you mean by good learner. It varies for everyone. You need to pass your theory test first. If you haven't started lessons yet then you won't get it all done before 2018. My instructor says on average 20 hours of lessons is needed, but I've heard of people needing over 40.
    I have passed my theory and completed about 10 hours with my score going up every time, I would say I’m 1/3 test standard and by the end of this month I would’ve covered every topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supernova36)
    I started in feb and passed in October , I reckon 6 months is a very realistic target. Maybe not by the end of this year , but certainly very early next year if you start now .
    Already completed 10 hours and I’m doing two hours per lesson, 6 months is a long time I’m guessing the instructor was normally booked up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_B_N.)
    Isn't the average 40 hr's, I'd say if your starting now even with 4hrs per week it would be a struggle to pass this side of 2018. I know some people supposedly manage on 20hrs I can't quite understand it however.
    It’s simple when you start learning first time, and are very passionate you tend to pick things up real quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellala)
    I started in early February 2016 and passed first time in June 2016 with 2hr lessons once a week relatively consistently. I took my theory test just after Easter. Honestly, it will take as long as it takes, but if you haven't started lessons yet it's unlikely you'll pass this year.
    How many lessons did you have in total?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    I have passed my theory and completed about 10 hours with my score going up every time, I would say I’m 1/3 test standard and by the end of this month I would’ve covered every topic
    Have you booked your test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    How many lessons did you have in total?
    maybe 15? something around that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Took me exactly a year to pass (just about), had 1 hour lesson a week, but I was terrible with roundabouts, did pass first time with zero faults though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Have you booked your test?
    Not yet but I know and can bring it forward if people cancel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    How do you reckon it will take to pass a driving test? Obviously there’s the waiting.

But for a good learner with up to 4 hours of lessons a week, how many weeks or months can I be ready for the test?

Anytime before 2018 will be perfect?

Anyone passed quickly?
    Passed my theory within 5 weeks, practical within 6 months first attempt on both n passed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never driven before, had no outside source of practice and passed within 8 weeks of starting my lessons. That was about 30 hours of lessons in total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    I'd never driven before, had no outside source of practice and passed within 8 weeks of starting my lessons. That was about 30 hours of lessons in total.
    Great that’s the motivation I needed, as long as I can get as many hours and learning hours

ReputationRep:
    I started in May 2016 and passed my practical in March 2017. I took the practical for the first time in December 2016, but the bookings and some other stuff forced to wait until March to take it again.

ReputationRep:
    Took me 21 hours of lessons and passed first time. Had no driving experience beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athematica)
    Took me 21 hours of lessons and passed first time
    I guess I’ve got 10 more hours to go 👍🏾

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolto)
    Great that’s the motivation I needed, as long as I can get as many hours and learning hours
    People say it's too quick, but what's the difference between doing 30-40 hours of lessons in a year and doing them in a few months? If anything, a week between each lesson is quite a bit of time, best to drive at least every other day and keep the ball rolling IMO. I feel a bit weird getting in the car if I haven't driven in a few days even now and I've been driving for 4 and a half years :lol:

How many lessons a week will you be doing, a couple of 2 hour lessons?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.