Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in studying either the BSc Psychology or the BSc Psychology and Counselling but wondered if I might be eligible for credit transfer for some credits (and if so, which modules I might be able to skip as a result)?

I completed my first undergraduate degree in 2009 BA Ed Primary Education, and started but did not complete an MA Social Work in 2012 (due to ill health). I have transcripts for these modules but I'm unsure whether they could be used for credit at undergraduate level.

Has anyone had a successful credit transfer in similar situations? I'm not expecting huge credit but would be nice to be able to gain 30/60 credits to acknowledge my efforts at post graduate that were unable to complete.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadedanby)
    I am interested in studying either the BSc Psychology or the BSc Psychology and Counselling but wondered if I might be eligible for credit transfer for some credits (and if so, which modules I might be able to skip as a result)?

I completed my first undergraduate degree in 2009 BA Ed Primary Education, and started but did not complete an MA Social Work in 2012 (due to ill health). I have transcripts for these modules but I'm unsure whether they could be used for credit at undergraduate level.

Has anyone had a successful credit transfer in similar situations? I'm not expecting huge credit but would be nice to be able to gain 30/60 credits to acknowledge my efforts at post graduate that were unable to complete.
    I don't believe you can transfer masters-level credits into an undergraduate degree, but you won't know unless you apply for credit transfer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think I will just post off my transcripts and see. I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation. I assume my first degree study wont gain me any credits either? I did study a module on early childhood learning, including psychology as part of this and I'd guess there would be overlap with the first option module but not sure if they would give credit for this as I did complete the degree.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadedanby)
    Thanks, I think I will just post off my transcripts and see. I just wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation. I assume my first degree study wont gain me any credits either? I did study a module on early childhood learning, including psychology as part of this and I'd guess there would be overlap with the first option module but not sure if they would give credit for this as I did complete the degree.
    I think you can transfer credits from your first degree - the OU has a (imo a very silly) rule allows people to do a second bachelor's degree by transferring two thirds of their original degree's credits and just doing the level 3 modules. Whether employers will accept it as a genuine degree (as you've only done 1/3 of the work) is another matter.

Why do you want to study psychology? If you want a career change or you're interested in the subject then I'd advise you not to transfer any credits from your bachelor's degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.