Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So idk what to do with my life I am currently studying btec extended diploma dental technology and I want to study dentistry in uni . Problem is iv always been a chilled out person and never stressed to much about my studies I got mostly Bs and Cs in my GCSES and am most likely gonna get MPP in btec.
    WILL I BE ABLE TO GET INTO ANY UNI AND DO DENTISTRY OR SHALL I JUST GIVE UP
    Everyone I have talked to has told me to be hopefully but I don't want to bs myself into thinking I can if I can't. Anyway sorry for the long post pls help xx

ReputationRep:
    Check unis websites to look at entry requirements? I do not know much about Dentistry but I would imagine they would want pretty good GCSEs plus A-levels rather than BTEC? But then again like I said I don't know much about it and you should defo double check it.

Sorry but I don't think you can do Dentistry, I think 17 - 20 universities do it in the UK and none accept MPP or any BTEC.

ReputationRep:
      I will be as honest with you and try not to sugarcoat this response.
      With your situation right now, it seems unlikely that you'll get into dentistry. First of all, you say that your GCSEs are primarily Bs and Cs. They would not be good enough as the majority of universities require A*/As in GCSEs because of how competitive dentistry is. They will also require As in all the core subjects (English, Maths and Science). Next, not many universities will accept BTEC Extended Diploma as an alternative to A-Levels, so you're in a dilemma here. However, I say many, because some universities do (i.e. Bristol), albeit they require DDD. But, the universities that do accept BTEC Extended Diplomas require a-levels in Biology and Chemistry, which is your next dilemma; they require at least an A in a-level chemistry.

DO NOT GIVE UP. I would definitely recommend looking at Dental Hygiene courses, which will allow you to work alongside dentists, or work as a hygienist. Probably the next big thing other than dentistry.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kthe1)
      So idk what to do with my life I am currently studying btec extended diploma dental technology and I want to study dentistry in uni . Problem is iv always been a chilled out person and never stressed to much about my studies I got mostly Bs and Cs in my GCSES and am most likely gonna get MPP in btec.
      WILL I BE ABLE TO GET INTO ANY UNI AND DO DENTISTRY OR SHALL I JUST GIVE UP
      Everyone I have talked to has told me to be hopefully but I don't want to bs myself into thinking I can if I can't. Anyway sorry for the long post pls help xx
      Do a foundation year course at Uni and then apply again next year after you have completed this!

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for the advise lowkey knew I wouldn't be able to get but I guess I still had a little hope x this has taught me to put all my effort and 100% commit to whatever I do and maybe be less relaxed about everything lol

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.