Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gap year, anxious about uni and travelling and so unsettled! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I decided to take a gap year within a month of starting my uni course because I couldn't cope! I was so anxious about feeling lonely and isolated that when the work started coming in I couldn't face it and dropped out!i do not regret it one bit because I clearly wasn't ready but I can't quite figure out exactly why, and how to solve it so I can apply next year knowing I will be able to get through it and not drop out again!
    The course I was doing I still really want to do so I don't think it was that, a month before uni, I went to Nicaragua for three months and was split from my twin sister so I don't see why it could have been homesick? Although I did feel extremely homesick at uni!! But I was closer to home?? I just don't understand! My dad moved house with his girlfriend so I never really had my home to go back to which made me feel quite isolated so I guess that could be it.... but anyway my sister decorated a whole new room for me to move in and I felt so much better and settled, I also went back to my work to work full time there and I'm now on a pretty good wage!
    However this is my dilemma, my twin sister came to visit me and we were talking about me maybe doing camp America! While she was here I was actually really excited to get a phone interview and start the process of applying, however now she has left I feel HORRIBLE about it, I get that isolated lonely feeling I got when I was at univeristy as I guess I'm terrified of committing to something and dropping out and paying so much for it! In fact I felt like crying the next day after having the interview.
    I would absolutely love to go to America and I have always wanted to go but I get such a terrible feeling when actually going to do it! Like I said I have done Nicaragua( without my twin ) so I don't know what's going on😭 Part of me is saying 'stop dropping out of everything and just go for it, it will be amazing and make you a better person' but part of me is saying ' you obviously aren't ready for it after quite a bad experience at uni'. Also if I'm going to pay all this money to go to America I feel I should be one hundred percent sure about it!! And actually excited rather than feeling so anxious I want to cry!! and I can't help but think I just need to settle with my big sister, work to get some money and gain my confidence back!! But will I gain my confidence back by just staying with my sister in the same job and not meeting new people? Although I meet people every day by serving customers!! Ah I'm just so unsettled and confused because Iv grown up such a confident sociable person and never really had troubles! I feel like I need to just find myself again really, honestly though I have no idea what I need and I'm hoping someone can help me decide what I should do!! Any advice would be enourmously appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.