Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm currently in my second year at the University of Edinburgh studying infectious diseases. I've been going through a rough mental health patch lately, and since January of this year I've been feeling really unhappy and out of place living in Edinburgh. I'd been toying around with the idea of moving to the University of Bristol (which was my insurance choice) for a while but ended up putting it to the back of my mind, that is until I visited Bristol again the other week and absolutely fell in love with the place.

I really want to change uni to UoB (to study virology and immunology), but I'm just worried about how it might affect my student finance. Because of my mental health issues, I've not been doing so well in Edinburgh so I'm worried that my grades aren't good enough for Bristol to let me transfer directly into second year, so I'm thinking about starting again and applying through UCAS. I know of the rule that student finance will finance you for the length of your degree +1 year and minus any years already completed elsewhere, but I'm not sure whether that would count for my original uni choice or my new uni choice. Because my degree is 4 years at the University of Edinburgh, that would mean that student finance would fund me for 5 years, so I could start again at University of Bristol and be funded for the full 3 years. However, if they take it from the new course length, I wouldn't be funded for my last year at Bristol if I did end up moving. Does anyone know?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scouz)
    Hey,

I'm currently in my second year at the University of Edinburgh studying infectious diseases. I've been going through a rough mental health patch lately, and since January of this year I've been feeling really unhappy and out of place living in Edinburgh. I'd been toying around with the idea of moving to the University of Bristol (which was my insurance choice) for a while but ended up putting it to the back of my mind, that is until I visited Bristol again the other week and absolutely fell in love with the place.

I really want to change uni to UoB (to study virology and immunology), but I'm just worried about how it might affect my student finance. Because of my mental health issues, I've not been doing so well in Edinburgh so I'm worried that my grades aren't good enough for Bristol to let me transfer directly into second year, so I'm thinking about starting again and applying through UCAS. I know of the rule that student finance will finance you for the length of your degree +1 year and minus any years already completed elsewhere, but I'm not sure whether that would count for my original uni choice or my new uni choice. Because my degree is 4 years at the University of Edinburgh, that would mean that student finance would fund me for 5 years, so I could start again at University of Bristol and be funded for the full 3 years. However, if they take it from the new course length, I wouldn't be funded for my last year at Bristol if I did end up moving. Does anyone know?
    Hi Scouz,

The rules regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their new course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study. Remaining years of ordinary entitlement will be awarded in the final years of the course. This means if the remaining entitlement for a 3 year course is 2 years, then the student would receive full funding in years 2 and 3. In year 1, in this case, you would received a MT Maintenance Loan only.
    You may want us to consider your extenuating circumstances, compelling personal reasons(CPR) or medical reasons to be considered for an extra years fee support.
    You would need to send Student Finance a letter detailing your (CPR) when you submit your application along with any medical evidence or letter from the university confirming your circumstances, the list is not exhaustive.

Thanks

Louise

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.