Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Depression is something which destroys every good time you think you had. It eats at you as if it was hungry for years! Anxiety and panic attacks are also horrible and can cause to tremble and be insecure. At the moment I am dealing with all three things and need a lot of advise. How should I overcome the huge wave of anxiety, panic attacks and depression? Will they forever haunt me? Is there a way out of this darkness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummy321786)
    Depression is something which destroys every good time you think you had. It eats at you as if it was hungry for years! Anxiety and panic attacks are also horrible and can cause to tremble and be insecure. At the moment I am dealing with all three things and need a lot of advise. How should I overcome the huge wave of anxiety, panic attacks and depression? Will they forever haunt me? Is there a way out of this darkness?
    I suppose the only way out is forward :/

If I were, I would definitely find a mental health professional or simply just someone you can trust because going through these things alone will admittedly be tough. You need someone who can support you, and to be open about how bad this actually feels for you.

As someone that's been through depression, anxiety and suicidal tendencies, let me reassure that things can get better. However in order for things to get better, you need to keep going forward.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hummy321786)
    A big part of it is talking and not bottling things up. It can get a bit much to rely on friends or family fr that sort of support so things like counselling, therapy, online support groups etc can be great.
    And talking to a trained professional has the advantage that they can help you spot and overcome some unhealthy thought patterns that depression breeds and feeds off.
    It also helps to have some healthy outlets, make sure you're eating/ drinking and sleeping well and make sure you're giving yourself enough time and space to cope with normal stresses and the extra drain you have from your depression.

Mind.org and sane.org have some good info and advice and sane also offers an online counselling service (free and confidential).
    You might also like to have a chat with your doctor if you haven't already.

There is a way out, I promise. You just need to stick at it and not be too hard on yourself. It's a long process and you may not notice a lot of change through it, but at some point you'll look back and realise how far you've come.

It can also help to keep a little mood. They can help you to keep track of your mood, notice any trends or patters and see how far you've come. And you can also make a little good things book. Fill it with good things that happen, nice things people say about you, things that made you proud of yourself etc and take a look at it whenever you're feeling less than good about yourself. It can help to remind yourself that you are awesome and fight off those nasty lies depression tries to feed you.
    As for panic attacks and anxiety, try to notice the early signs and when you do take a step back and listen to some music or do some breathing exercises. Distract yourself, calm your body down and keep going.
    It won't always work but that's okay It's all about little bits of progress and a slip up does not erase any progress you make. Just brush yourself off, remember how awesome you are and kick ass the next time.

Hope that helps. Feel free to pop by the Mental Health forum. you can make posts there, read over other advice, read other experiences so you know you aren't alone or have a bit of a chat in the Mental Health Support Society- a thread for people with various MH issues to hang out and offer each other a bit of comfort and support.
    You can post anon in the MH forum and MHSS btw.

Hope that helps a bit and beast wishes

ReputationRep:
    Thnx for ur advises 😊 I really appreciate them and am thnkful someone understands as the majority of people just suppose if u look fine on the outside u are perfectly fine inside. Yes I don't seem like it but only I know when I need to hide and cry and feel so anxious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.