Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I stop eating becoming my stress relief at Uni Watch

So just like I did at school, eating has become my stress relief at uni. I feel that I can't start an essay without having a 6 pack of Walkers or something like that next to me. I am also going to my local Tesco every day buying all sorts of junk food (my uni is also catered) - I feel so ashamed.

Currently my weight is about 17 stone. I really need to lose some.

In sixth form I did the same - ate lots. I was 16 stone then, however, as I took three years of sixth form and was just retaking some exams in my last year, I had so little (self-inflicted) academic pressure on myself that I lost 6 stone and never felt happier.

I have only went and put it back on again at Uni.

How can I break down the association in my mind that eating is the stress relief for academic concerns. Also, is this common amongst students to resort to food?

In my pressure free year at sixth form I enjoyed going to the Astro Turf and playing football at breaks. However, when I was under academic pressure in sixth form and now, I always feel that I am too busy, or really guilty for doing so. I also have mild autism, so struggle with societies etc.

Please help - I feel so bad about my weight and I am only continuing to put more on...

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member of the stress eating club too! I've put on 2 kg for every year I've been at uni (5 years) I'm the most Ive ever weighed!

Recently started to go to the gym after uni, and make sure I had a nutritional and filling tea either ready prepared or easy to make for after the gym. have to stop buying crap when i go to the shops and have loads of replacement junk food, like mango chunks or I make chocolate apple chunks (So i get a bit of chocolate but the more natural sugar from the apple) but I have finished my final exams now and I'm only on placement so maybe this is why its easier to be healthy??

I find getting over the mentality that exercising when you should be studying is a good way to start because excerise is so beneficial to studying too! just need a good balance of it all!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.