Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Grade 7/8 on the poetry section of the gcse paper ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How do you answer Q1 (24 marks ) when it’s unseen poetry? It’s hard to write a lot since I don’t know much about it can I have ideas on what to write and how to be perceptive? Q2 (8 marks) is quite easy but the poem comparison question is difficult to get near full marks. Any help on how to get more than 18 marks on comparing poems from the anthology? (Power and conflict)

ReputationRep:
    When comparing anything use PEE comparison. So make a point they share and then say how one does it with evidence and how the other does it with evidence. Then say how they do something different and why it’s effective with evidence for each one.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher's comments are a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Your teacher's comments are a good starting point.
    my teachers not very helpful which is why I’m gonna have to get this grade 8 myself :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dixonsaa)
    my teachers not very helpful which is why I’m gonna have to get this grade 8 myself :/
    They left no comment whatsoever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    They left no comment whatsoever?
    she did but she didn’t explain it well

ReputationRep:
    she did but she didn’t explain it well
    Any points that she raised that we can perhaps explain better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeckyEH)
    When comparing anything use PEE comparison. So make a point they share and then say how one does it with evidence and how the other does it with evidence. Then say how they do something different and why it’s effective with evidence for each one.
    Or a personal one for me, SEXIOWL.

Statement

Evaluate

Xplain

Inference

One Word Focus

Writer's intention

Link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KreativeHawk)
    Or a personal one for me, SEXIOWL.

Statement

Evaluate

Xplain

Inference

One Word Focus

Writer's intention

Link
    define what you mean by evaluate please

ReputationRep:
    structure, tone, language (zoom in on single words and explore their effects. say what type of word they are, eg verb or adjective)
    Subject:
    What does the poem appear to be about? Is it obvious or ambiguous? Is it narrative in nature, telling a story; or is it more abstract and concerned with feelings and emotions? Is there a clear link between its subject and its title?

Tone:
    Does the poem convey a feeling of celebration, sadness, rage, joy, regret, love, hate, irony, satire, pathos? Does the tone of the poem appear to give an insight into the poet's state of mind at the time the poem was written?

Rhythm and Rhyme:
    Is there a clear rhythm to the poem? Is there a discernible rhyme scheme? Does it rhyme at all? If so, how and where? Are all the lines of roughly the same length? Are short lines intermixed with long lines? What effect does this have as the poem is being read? Does it help to emphasise the poem's meaning?

Imagery:
    What visions and pictures fill your head when you read the poem? Are they beautiful, gentle, savage, awe inspiring, confused, picturesque, horrific...?

Vocabulary (lexis):
    What words, phrases and register does the poet use to add impact and power to the poem? Can you identify the use of metaphor, simile, personification, or any other imaginative devices?

Effects:
    What sound effects does the poet use and why? Scan the poem for the use of, for example, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, cacophony...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anoymous77)
    structure, tone, language (zoom in on single words and explore their effects. say what type of word they are, eg verb or adjective)
    Subject:
    What does the poem appear to be about? Is it obvious or ambiguous? Is it narrative in nature, telling a story; or is it more abstract and concerned with feelings and emotions? Is there a clear link between its subject and its title?

Tone:
    Does the poem convey a feeling of celebration, sadness, rage, joy, regret, love, hate, irony, satire, pathos? Does the tone of the poem appear to give an insight into the poet's state of mind at the time the poem was written?

Rhythm and Rhyme:
    Is there a clear rhythm to the poem? Is there a discernible rhyme scheme? Does it rhyme at all? If so, how and where? Are all the lines of roughly the same length? Are short lines intermixed with long lines? What effect does this have as the poem is being read? Does it help to emphasise the poem's meaning?

Imagery:
    What visions and pictures fill your head when you read the poem? Are they beautiful, gentle, savage, awe inspiring, confused, picturesque, horrific...?

Vocabulary (lexis):
    What words, phrases and register does the poet use to add impact and power to the poem? Can you identify the use of metaphor, simile, personification, or any other imaginative devices?

Effects:
    What sound effects does the poet use and why? Scan the poem for the use of, for example, onomatopoeia, assonance, alliteration, cacophony...
    THANK YOU ! you’re a life saver thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    define what you mean by evaluate please
    Sorry, was off the site for a bit.

Evaluate is basically just using quotations from the subject text to backup your point.

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU ! you’re a life saver thanks so much
    no problem xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.